Community

Free license: Notification near the system tray and other changes

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2833)
Sep 05, 2022 5:46:35 pm EDT
Hello Alain,

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, we definitely plan to improve the notification banner in our future updates and make it less intrusive. Unfortunately, we can't provide any specific ETA on this for now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Robert Gerbert, User (Posts: 1)
Oct 11, 2022 11:27:44 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Here's a modest session work around solution for RUt's free license "hacker warning" box blocking the system tray that works for me.
Reduce the host taskbar icons to open up some space, in a taskbar open space click and drag the taskbar to a different side (left preferred, not the top), auto hide and lock the host taskbar, the warning box does not follow. You can now continue your session normally.
This is a bit clunky but should  work until RUt fixes the problem. Reverse the process before ending your session. This procedure probably could be scripted but I'll leave that for someone else.
Oct 12, 2022 7:31:04 pm EDT
Hello Robert,

Thank you for your message.

Thanks for the provided feedback. We hope to improve the banner soon and make it less intrusive. Meanwhile, you can also use Direct connection which doesn't display the notification banner.

Hope that helps.
David Li Bergolis, User (Posts: 12)
Nov 23, 2022 4:57:17 am EST
Well, that the tray icon is mandatory to avoid problems with AV Software, that's not correct.
Look at UltraVNC, you are able to completely disable the tray icon and any notification at connection.
You can even open an integrated filemanager and transfer files from and to the host without any notification.
The host doesn't show any information at all when properly configured.
And nonetheless, AV Software don't flag it as Virus/Trojan/PUP, etc...

To be honest, UltraVNC needs an open port for ANY computer you want to control remote,
RU needs only ONE open port for the server, OK.

I really don't care about the systray icon at all, but the connection nag screen blocks any work or click at that area.
You could make a permanent and nonremovable systray icon that indicates idle, connection, errorstate, etc,...
but please remove that banner. It makes no sense for me to double annoy the host.
If it is possible with a paid version, it would be acceptable for me, although it would be a license-wise overkill,
because I'm a private user with 6 computers inside my family circle.
But I have to admit, that your price policy is really fair, so I would buy.

Is there any way to remove that banner?
It seems to be a bug, because I configured 5 computers with windows 10 and 1 computer with windows 7.
On the Windows 10 computers i can click on the "okay" button on the banner.
At my Windows 7 machine i cannot click at ANY button on that banner, neither physically, nor from remote.
I tried to reinstall RU Host with manually deleting any registry entries and any folder created (ProgramData and AppData).
That's only a problem with Windows 7. I tested it with XP, no problem at all.
Attached Files
Free license: Notification near the system tray and other changes
Edited:David Li Bergolis - Nov 23, 2022 5:05:33 am EST
Nov 23, 2022 12:05:53 pm EST
Hello David,

It seems to be a bug, because I configured 5 computers with windows 10 and 1 computer with windows 7.

It looks like you mean the First Connection Warning notification rather than the notification banner discussed in this thread. Please note that this notification is only shown if specific conditions are met for Host and in order for the First Connection Warning message to disappear the remote user must click the OK button in the message. Alternatively, someone can also connect to that Host from a Viewer registered with a PRO or SITE license - this will close the notification as well. Please note that computer reboot is required after the connection.
If you can't close the notification even when physically clicking the OK button on the Windows 7 machine, pleas try fully uninstalling Host once again as described here and then re-installing it using a vanilla installation file downloaded from our website.

If it is possible with a paid version, it would be acceptable for me, although it would be a license-wise overkill,

Please note that it's possible depending on the banner, i.e. if you mean the persistent notification mentioned in this thread, then it's not shown if you are connecting from a Viewer registered with a commercial license (any commercial license and not only PRO/SITE like in case with the First Connection Warning window). You can double-check that this banner actually looks different, features different text and actually doesn't have the "Okay" button to click. Here's how the persistent notification banner also looks just in case:
Free license: Notification near the system tray and other changes - 23 Nov 2022 10:27:23

Hope that helps.
Markus Lechner, User (Posts: 1)
Nov 30, 2022 4:06:22 am EST
Hi,
Another solution would be to have the persistent notification banner flip to the opposite side as soon as the host or guest moves the mouse near the banner. How about that?
David Li Bergolis, User (Posts: 12)
Nov 30, 2022 5:28:33 am EST

Pauline wrote:

Hello David,

It looks like you mean the First Connection Warning notification rather than the notification banner discussed in this thread. Please note that this notification is only shown if specific conditions are met for Host and in order for the First Connection Warning message to disappear the remote user must click the OK button in the message. Alternatively, someone can also connect to that Host from a Viewer registered with a PRO or SITE license - this will close the notification as well. Please note that computer reboot is required after the connection.
If you can't close the notification even when physically clicking the OK button on the Windows 7 machine, pleas try fully uninstalling Host once again as described here and then re-installing it using a vanilla installation file downloaded from our website.

Please note that it's possible depending on the banner, i.e. if you mean the persistent notification mentioned in this thread, then it's not shown if you are connecting from a Viewer registered with a commercial license (any commercial license and not only PRO/SITE like in case with the First Connection Warning window). You can double-check that this banner actually looks different, features different text and actually doesn't have the "Okay" button to click. Here's how the persistent notification banner also looks just in case:

Hope that helps.

Yes, I mean the first connection warning.

You said that I have to click a button in that banner, well, I know,
but that's the point: the OK button is there, but I cannot click it at all, regardless of being remote or physical present.
I cannot dismiss this banner and I cannot click anything behind it.
The two buttons displayed in that banner are completely not functional at all.
OK, I wrote inside the wrong thread, as this is for the permanent notification banner. Sorry.
I would continue via PM, open a new thread or continue in this thread, as this error is very similar, as it regards the banner-function in your program
Tell me, what you prefere.
Nov 30, 2022 6:54:28 pm EST
Hello Markus,

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, this is actually one of the options we're investigating - to allow the end user to select the corner of the screen to display the banner. Hopefully, we will be able to implement it in one of our upcoming updates.

Let us know if you have more questions.
Nov 30, 2022 6:54:33 pm EST
Hello David,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please try uninstalling your Host completely following this guide and then re-installing it from scratch? Please also make sure to add Host installation folder to any antivirus software exception list (even if you only have Windows Defender on that machine) as described here.
After re-installing Host please try connecting to it once again and see if the issue persists. You can also re-install Host using our default installation file - in this case the First connection warning window is not displayed as well.

Hope that helps.
Christer Johansen, User (Posts: 7)
Jun 05, 2023 10:05:10 am EDT

Pauline wrote:

Let us know if you have more questions.

That would solve the issue for me, please implement such an option.-

I don't mind the banner, it's just that the current position actually blocks some information in my system tray, it's translucent yes but it still blocks some info in the system tray of my home server. So I have to switch to RDP every time I need to view that info, quite annoying and could be easily solved if you let us move the banner to a different position.

I would prefer it to be centered at the top of my screen. That way it's very visible, but it does not block anything on the status bar. And anything you have up there can be easily moved, that is not always the case for the status bar.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)