Community

[ Closed ] How to upgrade to version 7 if I'm a free license user?

Links used in this discussion
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Feb 09, 2022 3:43:49 pm EST
Hello Louise,

I'm glad to hear it works for you now!

Please feel free to post another message if you have more questions.
Adam Alonzo, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 10, 2022 12:04:26 pm EST
Support level: Starter
I've got the paid starter version of RU Viewer 7.1.2.0.  I am able to upgrade RU Viewer on my computer, but unfortunately the computers I need to connect to are under the control of others and they are "reluctant" to upgrade the Host, so they're still running Version 6.  I'm able to access the remote hosts in Full Control mode, but what I really need is File Transfer mode.  But when I try to connect I get the error message:  "Attention! Your Host version mismatches Viewer version.  This mode requires the same version on both ends.  Please, update your Host."  Is it possible to do File Transfer from the Version 6 Host to my Version 7 Viewer?
Feb 10, 2022 12:37:21 pm EST
Hello Adam,

Thank you for your message.

But when I try to connect I get the error message: "Attention! Your Host version mismatches Viewer version. This mode requires the same version on both ends. Please, update your Host." Is it possible to do File Transfer from the Version 6 Host to my Version 7 Viewer?

This issue occurs because the File Transfer mechanism was significantly re-written in version 7, so, unfortunately, the File Transfer mode won't work unless both Host and Viewer are upgraded to the same version.

As a temporary workaround, please consider using Agent of the latest version instead. Agent does not require installation and can be used for spontaneous remote sessions - you only need to download it to the remote machine and run. This way, you will be able to connect to the remote machine via the File Transfer mode.
The latest version of Agent is available for download on this page.
Alternatively, you can also configure a custom Agent package using the MSI Configurator Tool.

Hope that helps.
Adam Alonzo, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 10, 2022 1:00:15 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the quick response.  I was unaware of RU Support prior to this week, and I've been impressed with what I've seen.  Thank you!
Feb 10, 2022 2:08:28 pm EST
Hello Adam,

Thank you for the kind words.

Just wanted to add that as another alternative, you can also download the Portable Viewer of version 6.10.10.0 on this page and use it to connect to the remote Hosts of version 6 as a temporary workaround.

Hope that helps.
João Correia, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 14, 2022 7:46:48 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi all,
I think i miss the opportunity here.
The temporary STARTER licence already ended?
I thought it included today.
is there any other way to update the HOST until the end of this week?
Feb 14, 2022 3:58:12 pm EST
Hello João,

Yes, unfortunately, the temporary license key has already expired since it was only valid until February 14.
Please update your Host manually by downloading the Host installation package of the latest version 7.1.2.0 on this page. Then run the installer on the target remote Host machine that needs to be upgraded and follow the steps provided by the installation wizard - Host will be upgraded automatically and all settings from the previous Host will be carried over to the new installation as well.

Hope that helps.
Alan Eidson, User (Posts: 5)
Feb 14, 2022 5:37:54 pm EST
So I too, just learned of this today...Feb 14th... and no, I as well, never received an email alerting of this change.  The two host computers that I have been using RU on are 1200 miles away, so physically upgrading the software is problematic so say the least.  
Why such the hard line on this date for remotely upgrading hosts?
Feb 15, 2022 4:01:19 pm EST
Hello Alan,

Unfortunately, it's possible that our email was blocked/rejected by your email provider and, therefore, couldn't reach your inbox or even the spam folder.

Why such the hard line on this date for remotely upgrading hosts?

Please note that we've notified our users via the email in early January that the Internet-ID feature in version 6 will be discontinued starting February 1st. In addition, please note that there is also a notification banner in the top part of our website that notifies about these changes as well.
Since a lot of users still couldn't upgrade their remote Hosts by February 1st, we've provided an alternative solution and a way to upgrade the Hosts remotely via the temporary key which was valid for 14 days.
Unfortunately, since the key is already expired, it's only possible to upgrade your remote Hosts manually by running the installation package of the latest version on the target remote machine. You can download the Host installer of the latest version 7.1.2.0 on this page.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps.
stefansal, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 17, 2022 11:59:27 am EST
Thank you very much for the tutorial! I just tried it right now, but it seems that the temporary key does not work. I am not able to update my remote host with either the newest or the older version of the viewer.

Would it be possible to receive an updated temporary key?

Big thanks in advance!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)