Community

Just an Update Info

Links used in this discussion
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Mar 04, 2022 3:45:43 pm EST
Just a update, I’ve noticed whenever Windows releases a large update for the systems, after the install of the update and the computer reboots the Remote utilities Host fails to start up by itself not sure why but this occurred this week to me on twelve (12) computers. And not all in the same location, The way I went around this was that I have a second service like remote utilities installed on the machines and gained access to those machines via that client I used ( SPL****P)  then started the Remote Utilities host, after that it started on its own and yes they are all up to date. The reason I mention this is why do other clients NOT have a problem but remote utilities always does? If someone didn’t have a way to go around this they would have to do this manually and that defeats the remote connection. I even have a third client if really needed the largest company of them all and that one also worked fine. Any ideas ? you might want to look into it. This has happen every major update.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 04, 2022 4:05:31 pm EST
Hello John,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will forward this information to our development department and we will try to reproduce the issue in our environment to see if we can implement a fix for it in our future updates.

I'll keep you updated on this issue and will let you know if there's any new information on it.
Mar 09, 2022 2:19:20 pm EST
It did it again to 5 of the machines,  the host had to be manually restarted. or reboot the computer  ...today ?
Edited:johnran - Mar 09, 2022 2:21:48 pm EST
Mar 09, 2022 2:41:38 pm EST
make that 8  computers in 3 different locations 3 different networks
Mar 09, 2022 3:56:19 pm EST
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Seems like the Windows update affects Remote Utilities somehow - perhaps, by deleting some files or registry keys. Actually, one more user have also reported that updating their Windows affected their RU installation.
I'll forward this to our developers as well - perhaps, we will be able to reproduce the issue and find out what exactly this update does is that we can fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll get back to you with an update on this shortly.
Peter Gray, User (Posts: 48)
Mar 09, 2022 5:36:52 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Hello John

I have occasional failures of the host tostart after reboot, see my post Host sometimes fails to start after boot-up  I see timeout errors in the windows event log.
Could it be that after a major update Windows has more to do on first reboot, and the host service times out?  Do you see the paired error messages I described?
Mar 09, 2022 6:54:52 pm EST

Peter Gray wrote:

Hello John

I have occasional failures of the host tostart after reboot, see my post Host sometimes fails to start after boot-up  I see timeout errors in the windows event log.
Could it be that after a major update Windows has more to do on first reboot, and the host service times out?  Do you see the paired error messages I described?

I dont think its from a restart , I think after it updates the connection just gets dropped.  When I restart the host it then works fine. I can all so resart the computer from another program then the host starts up normal. something dropping it off, last time was on the 4th of march , since then they were working perfectly. I am running Malwarebytes along with Webroot, but they both have the folder and program excluded.
One other thing it never did this before until the large update from windows last week, and it was a large update, took like 15 minutes on each computer.
And yet one more thing, I have a Host on a windows 7 computer , yes 7, and it didnt get the updates and it never went offline at all, it was on a network that some went off , so that defentily tells me windows update on the others running win 10...
Edited:johnran - Mar 09, 2022 7:04:50 pm EST
Mar 10, 2022 2:58:35 pm EST
Hello John and Peter,

Thank you for your messages.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue with the Host being affected by the Windows update, so, perhaps, something else might be causing the issue. However, we'll keep an eye on this issue and will be monitoring it closely in case if it re-occurs or can be reproduced by more users.

In case if the issue persists or re-occurs, please feel free to send us the Windows System Event log for examination. You can obtain the Event Log by following this guide and send it to support@remoteutilities.com.
In addition, in case if you have some antivirus/firewall software installed on the machines where the issue occurs (like John have mentioned), then their activity might be causing or contributing to the issue.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Mar 10, 2022 3:52:56 pm EST
I was looking at the log file for that day just what event ID or source ar eyou looking for in there?
Mar 10, 2022 4:02:08 pm EST
Hello John,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about what specific event we should look for in the Windows Event log - I'd forward this type of logs to our developers, so that they can check if there's something that might be causing the issue.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)