Community

[ Closed ] can not connect to any hosts

Links used in this discussion
David Slish, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 28, 2022 3:37:52 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Thanks Pauline,
I tried both suggestions above with no success.  The two connections I tried have different ISPs.  One is spectrum, the other is Verizon FioS.
Paul Truswell, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 28, 2022 3:44:06 pm EDT

james cab wrote:

Paul.  Yes, the exact same thing as far as my viewer sees my host is online, but cannot connect.

As far as using the Host machine's local IP address.. I know what my local ip address is, just can you explain or point me to where I can connect using that instead of Internet ID please?  Thanks in advance

James - from memory (this was a few months ago) all I did on site, whilst on the same LAN, was to enter the IP address of the PC running the RU host into the properties of the host object in the viewer: right-click and choose properties > general (settings).

Hope that helps (half time at Old Trafford - watching Man United vs Chelsea) :D
Attached Files
can not connect to any hosts
Paul Truswell, User (Posts: 12)
Apr 28, 2022 3:50:57 pm EDT
Pauline,

Thanks - flushdns did not make any difference but I will try again tomorrow.

I have always used OpenDNS - any known problems with that since the RU changes?

OpenDNS primary 208.67.222.222 secondary 208.67.220.220

Really appreciate your responsiveness :)
J.R. Cabai, User (Posts: 9)
Apr 28, 2022 3:55:28 pm EDT
Paul Thanks for the HELP!

Mine is up and running now, but, for next time I'll try connecting through IP LAN as you suggested.
Cheers!
Eric Dickinson, User (Posts: 1)
Apr 28, 2022 3:57:12 pm EDT
I tried the flushdns command line just as described earlier and it worked correctly once. As soon as I closed and reopened the viewer, it was back to the same problem. Im testing 2 computers sitting next to each other connected to the same switch. As it was said before, this had been working great since covid started and now all of a sudden its broken and you think a simple flushdns is gonna fix it? You people seriously need to get your act together and fix this issue. Don't try to tell me its some kind of port, firewall, internet service provider issue. Its YOUR issue...fix it!
J.R. Cabai, User (Posts: 9)
Apr 28, 2022 4:00:49 pm EDT
Ugh... it worked for literally one minute.  Then "lost connection" and now can't connect again!  

So FRUSTRATING
Dustin Miller, User (Posts: 17)
Apr 28, 2022 4:47:03 pm EDT
still down.....lost an entire day's work because of this....
Tim L, User (Posts: 4)
Apr 28, 2022 4:52:53 pm EDT
Just adding another voice, I also have the same connection issues as everyone else.  Luckily I had a 5 minute window first thing this morning to grab a couple files to work on.
Dustin Miller, User (Posts: 17)
Apr 28, 2022 5:10:31 pm EDT
certainly hope RU fixes this problem by tomorrow morning.  I can't afford another day of zero productivity !!!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2833)
Apr 28, 2022 5:21:09 pm EDT
Hello everyone,

Paul Truswell,

I have always used OpenDNS - any known problems with that since the RU changes?

Please note that we haven't made any changes since our latest upd ate which was released on January 14, 2022. For more information on the changes added in that update please see the Release Notes page.

J.R. Cabai,
Here's also a step-by-step guide on how to se t up the Direct connection to your Host that might be helpful.

Eric Dickinson,
Please note that if it would be a software-related issue or even an issue with our servers, our Community Forum as well as the tickets would be flooded with reports from other users. For now it seems like a DNS-related issue which we're currently investigating. We've already had similar cases in the past, for example, like in this thread when Cloudflare suddenly started mistakenly blocking our servers for no reason. Unfortunately, we have no control over how other third-party software or DNS services treat our legitimate software.

To everyone else who have reported back that flushing the DNS cache didn't help - could you please clarify if you have also tried switching your DNS servers to Google Public DNS servers in your TCP/IP properties? Here's a guide on how you can do so. If you haven't tried it yet, please do so and let us know if this works for you.

In addition, if switching to Google DNS servers also doesn't help, please also try performing the nslookup command on both Viewer and Host machines. Here's a step-by-step guide on how you can do it. This might help us to understand if there are any issues with DNS resolution at your particular location (or with your DNS service).
Alternatively, you can also use this service to check the servers availability.
Last but not least, please also feel free to send us your most recent Host log files for examination. You can locate the logs in the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs\ and send them to support@remoteutilities.com.

We'll keep you updated on the issue.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)