Community

Windows version - Legacy Capture

Paul Griffith, User (Posts: 3)
Jun 20, 2024 1:17:24 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Viewer 7.2.2 and Host 7.2.2 on Windows 11

Hi all, I just set up a laptop that I could use for remote monitoring of a site (suspected WiFi issues). I set it up locally sitting beside my main machine, all working wonderfully. Took it onsite today and got it connected, came home and after being able to access it flawlessly for over a week locally, it now would not connect in Full Control or View only. The only way to get it to connect was to set the host to use legacy capture mode. Why would this need to done? I find legacy to not be as smooth or responsive to use. Why would taking it offsite require this change to be made? I have quite a few other remote windows machines that will only function with legacy, some used to work fine without legacy, but now require it. Is there anything that can be done. Thay are all Windows 11 machines with the latest build of Windows and the Host software.

Cheers
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 20, 2024 2:47:26 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your message.

Perhaps, the issue might be caused by some components found in the Windows System update. Are you able to tell if there was a Windows update performed prior to the issue occurring?

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 21, 2024 12:38:21 am EDT
Nope definitely no updates had occured, and I actually have windows updates paused for 5 weeks so it didn't do any reboots while it was offsite doing the monitoring.
I had it connected and working on local LAN, put the laptop to sleep and took it offsite. Was about 30 minutes until I got it onsite and powered it back up, connected it to their wifi and went back home. Then was unable to connect without turning legacy mode on.

The fact that legacy mode exists, means you must know why it is needed, what is stopping normal mode working?
Is there something can be changed on the Host so normal mode just works?
Jun 21, 2024 3:42:19 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

The difference between the default and legacy capture modes has to do with how screen capture is processed deep inside the operating system. Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 require certain modifications to the screen capture mechanism. On the surface this difference just manifests itself in that check box that the user can check or uncheck to resolve problems with screen capture.
Regarding the issue - could you please clarify what exactly happens when you can’t connect to a remote Host? Do you see any connection attempts or the “world map” loading screen?

Looking forward to your reply.
Jun 22, 2024 4:36:10 am EDT
Just the World Map loading screen, and it will sit there forever, it never times out. The longest I've left it is for about 3 hours.
Jun 24, 2024 6:35:41 pm EDT
Hello Paul,

Thank you for the clarification.

In this case, please note that this is known behavior which we’re already investigating and hope to implement a fix for it in our upcoming updates. Currently, the known workaround for this issue is using the Legacy Capture mode feature.

Let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)