Community

Address Book Questoin

Links used in this discussion
Alex Reyes, User (Posts: 4)
Sep 18, 2024 10:13:24 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
RUT Server/Viewer/Host Version: 7.2.2.0

Hello!

I have a question regarding the address book user features. I am role-playing scenarios in which if a user were to leave the company and I were to deactivate that account from the Address Book Manager, it would just sign them out of the Address Book, and the Viewer would still allow them to see the sites and connect to them. I hoped it would kick them out entirely, making the Viewer inaccessible, but it's not.

Is there any way to mitigate this?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Sep 19, 2024 7:34:44 am EDT
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your message.

It's important not to confuse address book sync with authentication on Hosts, as they serve two different purposes. Address book sync simply allows users to share 'shortcuts' to remote computers with certain properties. However, to actually access those computers, users still need to authenticate on them.

A good analogy is an address book of houses in a neighborhood. You can share the address book with people, but they still need the house key to enter any specific home.

If you're looking to revoke access when an employee leaves the company, you'll need to update the authentication settings on the relevant Hosts. The only authentication method that allows for centralized permission management is 'custom server security.' In this setup, you enable the authentication role on the RU Server, create users and groups, and set permissions. When an employee leaves, you can simply remove them from the group or delete their user account.

To sum it up: use address book sync to share address book records, and use 'custom server security' to set and manage authentication permissions centrally.

Hope that helps!
Alex Reyes, User (Posts: 4)
Sep 19, 2024 11:50:57 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Yes, that worked!!! Thank you for the clarification. I just realized that after I was using the Address Book only. After enforcing "Custom Server Rules" on both the RUT Viewer and Address Book Manager, I was able to enforce these settings and prevent disabled users from accessing both the RUT Hosts and RUT Address Book. I definitely overlooked this part. Thanks again! Cheers!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)