Community

Trouble with new version

Links used in this discussion
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 35)
Sep 28, 2024 10:20:40 am EDT
I have a few new problems that I've discovered that I hope you can help me solve.
1. Version 7.5.1.0 Host on XP, same version Viewer on Windows 10, Windows 7, and latest IOS.
Viewer logs into host, will not connect with Full Control, or View Only. It goes as far as the world map page and just keeps trying to load remote screen. File transfer works, RDP works, and I do get a screen preview when hovering the mouse pointer over the address book entry. Full control and view only does work correctly if I revert host back to 6.10.9.0. This is repeatable.
2. Version 7.5.1.0 of Host and Viewer on all machines. After stopping host on viewer machine, I then right click on host in address book and choose Remote Settings. The dialog that comes up and shows that I am editing the host settings for the viewer machine, not the remote.
3. Wake on Lan using other hosts. I've experimented extensively with why this is not working as intended. With viewer up and running, and watching the intended target and the relay machine, I can confirm that the magic packet does in fact get to the relay machine, however it does not forward the magic packet to the intended target machine. Somewhere in between the relay machine and the target machine is where the bottleneck occurs.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Benny
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Sep 30, 2024 6:02:29 pm EDT
Hello Benny,

Thank you for your message.

1. Version 7.5.1.0 Host on XP, same version Viewer on Windows 10, Windows 7, and latest IOS.
Viewer logs into host, will not connect with Full Control, or View Only. It goes as far as the world map page and just keeps trying to load remote screen. File transfer works, RDP works, and I do get a screen preview when hovering the mouse pointer over the address book entry. Full control and view only does work correctly if I revert host back to 6.10.9.0. This is repeatable.

Could you please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature in the Host Settings -> Other settings? After enabling the feature, please make sure to restart Host to apply changes.

2. Version 7.5.1.0 of Host and Viewer on all machines. After stopping host on viewer machine, I then right click on host in address book and choose Remote Settings. The dialog that comes up and shows that I am editing the host settings for the viewer machine, not the remote.

Could you please provide some more details on that? For example, can you compare the Internet-ID codes between the local and remote machines? Does this happen with a specific remote connection or all of them?

3. Wake on Lan using other hosts. I've experimented extensively with why this is not working as intended. With viewer up and running, and watching the intended target and the relay machine, I can confirm that the magic packet does in fact get to the relay machine, however it does not forward the magic packet to the intended target machine. Somewhere in between the relay machine and the target machine is where the bottleneck occurs.

Could you please double-check if the WoL feature is enabled on your target Host machine? You can check with this guide to see if it's enabled correctly. Also, are your relay Host machine and the target Host located in the same network and subnet?

Looking forward to your reply.
Sep 30, 2024 8:37:43 pm EDT
Thanks for your reply Pauline.
As for #1.
Yes, I've tried Legacy Capture Mode on the host. I've also tried the Nextgen Codec and the Classic Codec in all Color Formats in the Viewer properties for this connection. I've tried every combination of host and viewer properties possible. Nothing brings the connection back other that downgrading the host version.
#2.
OK, I have my address book open. I'm going to edit the host properties for any one of my connections. In anticipation of this, I stop the host on my viewer machine. Now, I right click on the connection that I want to edit the host properties. In the pop up list near the bottom I click on Remote Settings. At this point, the dialog comes up saying, Connection Name: XXXXXX machine, and Host Protection Password Dialog pops up. I enter the password, Then the dialog that shows the host properties comes up, and at the top it shows, Computer Name: (my viewer machine), IP Addresses all show the IP's of the viewer machine. The next section does show the correct internet ID, ID Server, etc. for the intended target machine.
So I don't know if I'm editing the properties for the intended host, or the viewer. I get the same top portion of the dialog for all of my connections, using this method.
#3.
Yes to all. I have everything necessary to use wol. Fact is, I wrote a long post on wol several years ago in this forum. I have numerous tools to use wol and all of them work, even the Remote Utilities wol works from within my own network. It only fails when using the wol using other host function of Remote Utilities. I can test and prove that the magic packet does get to the intermediate host, but from there it fails to forward to the intended target machine. This is with the intended target and the intermediate machine both up and running. The magic packet just does not make it to the target after going through the intermediate.
Other than this, everything else is working great. Really appreciate the new and faster codec. It's very noticeable, especially on some of our slower networks/machines.
Thanks again for your response.
Benny
Oct 01, 2024 8:15:00 pm EDT
Hello Benny,

Thank you for the clarification. Let me check if we’re able to schedule a remote session with our technician. If that’s okay with you, please let us know the dates and time you’re available for a remote session this week along with your time zone.

Looking forward to your reply.
Oct 02, 2024 10:28:14 pm EDT
Thanks for the offer Pauline. However, I think the problems I have I can work around.
For the #1 problem above, the computer that will not connect with the newest version of Host, is an XP machine. It needs to be replaced with the exception that we are running software on it that only XP can run reliably. So for now, I'm just going to keep an older version of Host on it.
#2 Problem, I Think I finally realized that the dialog in the remote settings screen, the top portion is showing the viewer machine information, while the section beneath it, shows the actual information for the host machine for which I am editing the properties. That was mostly just a misunderstanding on my part.
#3 Problem, is no big deal. I have other tools that I've been using to wol across networks. It would be nice if this did work as intended. The only way that I've had success with the wol using other host feature, was actually when I used the XP machine as mentioned above, as the intermediate host. So, this is something in the OS that is blocking the forwarding of the magic packets. Even with all firewalls turned off, it is still being blocked somehow.
I really appreciate you offering the remote session, but for now, I'm happy with Remote Utilities.
Thank You and Have a Great Day !!
Benny
Oct 03, 2024 2:23:06 pm EDT
Hi Benny,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words.

Regarding the issue with the machine running Windows XP - I checked with our development department on this and they've let me know that this is actually a known issue and the fix for it is going to be available in our very next update (which should be released soon). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)