Community

New Connection Popup Window

Links used in this discussion
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 42)
Oct 03, 2024 3:31:47 am EDT
I have begun upgrading my hosts to the new 7.5.1.0 version, I also run a self hosted server which is now at version 3.4.1.0.

In this process I have created new MSI and silent installers via the MSI Configurator.
I am running on a PRO licence.

I have just started to notice that when I install a fresh 7.5.1.0 via the silent installer, upon connection, I see the right hand corner "You have installed Remote Utilities..." message as attached.

Reading from here; https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/first-connection-warning/
Is it the case that the behaviour has changed with this new version? I have not seen that popup since my evaluation days, the PRO licence always removed that message from appearing.

This message is an issue for us. We roll out RU on dozens of machines, and we may not connect to them for potentially weeks or months into the future. Some of these machines are customer devices, others are headless servers with no mouse and keyboard.

Matthew
Attached Files
New Connection Popup Window
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Oct 03, 2024 6:00:04 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

I have just started to notice that when I install a fresh 7.5.1.0 via the silent installer, upon connection, I see the right hand corner "You have installed Remote Utilities..." message as attached.

This window was introduced a year ago in version 7.2.2.0 and was a necessary step to alleviate antivirus software detections. Unfortunately, with each new version, we have to introduce new restrictions like this because their (i.e., antivirus software) paranoia is beyond measure, and they would otherwise make using our software impossible. Of course, it's all done "for your own security," as they like to say.

This message is an issue for us. We roll out RU on dozens of machines, and we may not connect to them for potentially weeks or months into the future. Some of these machines are customer devices, others are headless servers with no mouse and keyboard.

We added a timer to the button since we anticipated this situation. Once the timer elapses, the message will disappear and will not appear again on the same machine.

Sorry if this message causes any inconvenience. We would gladly remove all this paraphernalia, as it was back in the days when running software from an unknown source and letting a stranger in was the victim's fault, not the manufacturer's, as it is now. But we can't, because antivirus software simply won't allow it.
Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 42)
Oct 03, 2024 9:42:29 am EDT
Thanks Conrad. Looking at my distributions, I can see that I never built a 7.2.x installer. I was using a 7.1.1.0 then upgrading the host via the viewer.

To clarify, once the host is installed and has taken its first connection, will subsequent host upgrades not trigger this message popup?

Matthew
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3013)
Oct 03, 2024 11:52:21 am EDT
Hi Matthew,

To clarify, once the host is installed and has taken its first connection, will subsequent host upgrades not trigger this message popup?

They should not trigger the message popup. This is because the flag is set locally once, and updates/upgrades do not affect it—unless the Host registry settings are cleaned up (since the flag is stored there).

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)