Community

Host showing as offline even though the host computer is running

Links used in this discussion
Di Va, User (Posts: 1)
Oct 04, 2024 4:45:06 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I work from home and use Remote Utilities to access the computer at my workplace. However, I'm encountering the following issue:
The connection drops after about 10-15 minutes of working, and the host computer shows as "offline" in Remote Utilities. I’ve checked the host computer, and everything seems to be fine on that end – it stays online.
As soon as I switch my laptop’s internet connection to a hotspot from my phone, the host reappears as online in Remote Utilities. However, when I reconnect to my Wi-Fi, Remote Utilities shows the host computer as offline again, even though my Wi-Fi works normally, and I can access other internet services without any issues.
This issue only occurs when using Wi-Fi. Everything works perfectly when using mobile data through the hotspot.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Oct 04, 2024 8:16:42 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

It seems like the issue might be caused by something (perhaps, firewall, or antivirus software, or even your router) interfering with the traffic and causing disconnects. Could you please make sure to add Remote Utilities installation folders to the exception list of any a/v or firewall software you might be using as described here and if this might help to resolve the issue.
In addition, please check if your router or perimeter firewall have any restrictions or might be blocking any traffic.

Let us know if this helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)