New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

License Question

Links used in this discussion
Dominic Ene, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 23, 2015 7:32:53 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hello All,

I'm a newbie and want to get an understanding of the licensing process. If I use the portable viewer and have end users use the agent tool for a spontaneous remote support session. Will this deduct from my 10 license keys. If so does this happen after the 30 day trial?

I've been looking all over the site and it doesn't specify if the license key is for per session, per workstation or per host that the software is installed on ...

I hope I'm making sense
Bobby Mills, User (Posts: 34)
Feb 23, 2015 8:12:43 pm EST
someone correct me if I am wrong.... you get a license for up to 10 Host( remote PC) so if you have viewer or Portable (this isn't counted toward your license) only the Host you register the license on count. I haven't worked with agent just the Host, but seems reasonable they both operate the same just 1 is a install the other isn't. So long story short the number of Hosts you have count toward your number of licenses left ( to my knowledge.. lol i could be wrong. )
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 23, 2015 8:32:06 pm EST
Thank you for your question, Dominic. And thank you, Bobby, for your answer.

Generally, what Bobby said was correct. I can only add that in the upcoming release 6.1 the Host module registration will become unnecessary. From then on the Host (and Agent for that matter) will be a "free-floating" module. Instead, you'll need to apply your license key in the Viewer.

For the "per remote PC" license type the Viewer will simply count the number of records in your address book and compare that number with the number allowed by your license key. If it's a free license key, the allowed number is 10.

In other words, if you registered your Viewer with a free license key, the total number of records (or "connections" as well call them) in all your address books combined can be 10 or less. I say address books, plural, because Viewer now allows adding multiple address books, not just one as it used to do.  

So it won't matter what remote module you use on the remote side - Host or Agent - and there will be no more such awkward thing as "registering the Agent". We hope that this shift will make it easier for our customers to use the program and to buy it    

Let me know if you have other questions.
Dominic Ene, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 24, 2015 11:39:20 am EST
So let me clarify ....

So if I use the portable viewer and the "agent" for spontaneous remote support sessions it will count against the 10 key license...

In other words I have only 10 sessions available to me to make spontaneous remote support connection with the 10 key license ...

Right? I hope this makes sense
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Feb 24, 2015 1:41:20 pm EST
Hello Dominic

So if I use the portable viewer and the "agent" for spontaneous remote support sessions it will count against the 10 key license...

The rule of thumb is - in your Viewer you can have as many connection records (entries in the address book) as your license permits regardless of whether it's portable or installable Viewer. In case of the free license it's 10 records.

Take a look at this picture https://www.remoteutilities.com/images/help/ab-components.png . It explains what a connection record is. Normally, each address book record corresponds to one remote PC, although you can also  create multiple records for the same remote PC.  

In other words I have only 10 sessions available to me to make spontaneous remote support connection with the 10 key license ...

Not exactly. I think I need to give you an example:

Suppose you have a physical address book with names and phone numbers of different people. You can call these people and chat with them at any time without any limitations.

However, your address book can only hold 10 records. In order to add one more record to that address book you need to remove one of the existing records to make available space.

It doesn't really matter whether you spontaneously call those people (think "Agent") or call them on a regular basis (think "Host"). Also, it doesn't matter whether you call them all at once or one at a time - the only thing that matters is how many records your address book can hold. If you no longer contact a certain person, you can remove their record and add a new one instead.

Hope that helps.   :)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)