Community

internet ID vs local PC status.

Michael Taylor, User (Posts: 50)
Apr 21, 2017 8:37:26 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
just a couple of questions...
when I launch the viewer my internet id computer is immediately displayed as online. but my local pc's are listed as offline until I click connection/refresh status. why is this? I would expect local pc status to be displayed quicker since they are local and on the same network.  this is very annoying. why do I need to click connection refresh status in order to see my local pcs that are online?  

due to this annoying status behavior I have another question if I use internet id for my local computers and connect to them will my connection go direct to the PC (ip)  or will it go through your internet ID server?

thank you

Michael Taylor
Edited:Michael Taylor - Apr 21, 2017 9:02:10 pm EDT
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3022)
Apr 22, 2017 5:01:57 am EDT
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your questions.

when I launch the viewer my internet id computer is immediately displayed as online. but my local pc's are listed as offline until I click connection/refresh status. why is this? I would expect local pc status to be displayed quicker since they are local and on the same network. this is very annoying. why do I need to click connection refresh status in order to see my local pcs that are online?

This is by design. This limitation is necessary to prevent a situation when hundreds of even thousands of PCs overload the network with requests.

due to this annoying status behavior I have another question if I use internet id for my local computers and connect to them will my connection go direct to the PC (ip) or will it go through your internet ID server?

If the program can automatically determine direct route, the connection will be direct even if it's Internet-ID in the connection properties.

Hope that helps.
Apr 22, 2017 5:06:16 am EDT
Michael, alternatively you can also enable Auto-logon for local connections. It's in the Connection Properties -> Security tab.
Michael Taylor, User (Posts: 50)
Apr 22, 2017 9:58:31 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Conrad,

I will try the auto logon to see if that helps,  but if I do setup internet ID's for the local pcs I assume I would loose wake on LAN functionality? is that correct?
Apr 22, 2017 1:43:07 pm EDT
Hello Michael,

WoL should work in this case.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)