Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Jo, User (Posts: 1)
Aug 28, 2024 12:26:36 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Beginner level question - apologies for my ignorance.

I am the only person in my organisation with a Mac. I have tried connecting the via the viewer on my Mac to my host PC and am getting a pop-up saying "To continue using the software please add a valid license to the License Key Storage". Our IT support person has provided me with the licence key, however I can't find anyway on Mac to add this key.

I have read in previous posts that a licence key is not required for Mac at this stage. Is this still current? If so, how do I go about gaining access to the viewer once again?
Kevin Brown, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 04, 2024 4:24:31 pm EDT
Good day

I have a license for the Windows 6.10.10 version of your program and it doesn't look like the current Linux viewer works with the 6.10.10 Windows host program. Is there an archive of previous Linux beta versions were I could get an older version that would work with the 6.10.10 version of the Windows based software? I am currently not able to pay to upgrade and deploy the newest version of the Windows software so I don't mind using an older version of the Linux software.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Sep 04, 2024 5:41:09 pm EDT
Hello Jo,

Thank you for your message.

Viewer for Mac and Linux currently requires a valid license key. However, if your current license key is meant for older version of Remote Utilities, you can simply generate a new free license key on this page.
Make sure to add it to your License Key Storage and see if this helps.

Let us know if this works for you.
Sep 04, 2024 5:46:09 pm EDT
Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, there is no older version of Remote Utilities for Mac/Linux. However, you can easily use the latest beta version with the free license key that can be generated on this page.
In addition, if you had a commercial license key purchased for version 6.10.10.0, it should still be functional and allow you to connect to newer versions of RU.

Hope that helps.
Kevin Brown, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 04, 2024 7:06:55 pm EDT
Hello Pauline

I specifically need to connect the Linux viewer to a Windows 6.10.10 host and when I have tried that it doesn't work. It will work if I update the host to the newest Windows version but then my Windows 6.10.10 viewer I paid for a license for doesn't work properly with the newest Windows host and I would have to update quite a few of my Windows hosts. Is there any work around to get the Linux viewer to work with the Windows 6.10.10 host program?
Sep 04, 2024 8:02:46 pm EDT
Hello Kevin,

Please note that Host module itself doesn’t require registration with a license key, so you can just update the Host you need to connect to to the latest version 7.2.2.0.
If you prefer not to update it, you can just download Agent of the latest version and use it instead of Host on the same machine - Agent doesn’t require installation, so you’ll be able to keep your older version of Host as well.
Agent is available for download on this page.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)