Community

[ Closed ] Host/Agent for Linux (alpha preview)

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 01, 2023 8:50:47 am EST
Hello everyone,

We are excited to announce the release of a new Remote Utilities Host for Linux*, alpha version (preview)! This release is a significant milestone for us, as we have received numerous requests for a Mac/Linux version of Remote Utilities Host from our valued users.

Please keep in mind that this is only an alpha version and is very limited in functionality. We have released this preview version to demonstrate that the development of Host for Linux and Mac is ongoing and the first beta version is underway.

The Remote Utilities Host for Linux, alpha version (preview) can be downloaded from the links provided below. We recommend that you download and install this preview version on a test machine and not on your production systems.

Features:

- Only Full Control is available
- Only direct connection is available

Other features including the Internet-ID, File transfer connection mode, deb/rpm packages etc. will be added later in the beta and in the final release.  

Download:
https://www.remoteutilities.com/test/host1.0.12.b12.tar.xz

Installation instructions (important!):

1. Run the following command to install the necessary packages:

sudo apt-get install -y libx11-xcb1 libxfixes3 libxtst6 libxcb-shm0 libxdamage1 libgtkglext1 libx11-6 libxcb-xinerama0  libxcb1 xdg-utils

2. Switch to Xorg windowing system as only Xorg (X11) is currently supported.

3. Unpack the downloaded package and run.

4. Access the Agent/Host settings by right-clicking on the program icon in the system tray and selecting "Settings". Set access password and use the computer's IP address to connect from Viewer.

We look forward to receiving your feedback and suggestions, as we continue to improve and develop the Remote Utilities Host for Linux.

Thank you for your continued support.

* Host version for Mac will be available at a later date, and it will be released in a beta version, not in an alpha preview
Jim Tracey, User (Posts: 20)
Mar 01, 2023 11:27:03 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Kudos! Using this right now. Initial install was flawless, setup was a breeze, and function seems solid. Looking forward to beta and eventual final release. Will tinker with it  and report any issues.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Mar 01, 2023 6:51:15 pm EST
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your feedback!

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions regarding Host for Linux or if you need our assistance.
Oldřich Fridrich, User (Posts: 11)
Mar 04, 2023 6:02:59 pm EST
Hello,
I tried the new Host/Agent for Linux (alpha preview) - connection from a machine with Viewer (OS linux) to a machine with the new Host/Agent for Linux (alpha preview) (OS linux) - "heureka" remote control finally works after three years purchase of a license :-) so far only via IP address, later it will perhaps be possible to connect via Internet-ID. I will try the remote connection with this version of Host/Agent for Linux (alpha preview) and I will send you any findings of the connection status, etc.
So it looks like we will probably see a functional Viewer and Host for both Mac and Linux :-)
Thank you for your efforts, efforts and progress to solve the possible remote control of Mac and Linux machines.
Have a nice day
O.Fridrich - Czech Republic
Mar 06, 2023 11:42:11 am EST
Hello Oldřich,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, the Internet-ID connection feature as well as Host for Mac will definitely be available at a later time. We appreciate your feedback.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Mar 06, 2023 2:28:16 pm EST
Hello,
I found one drawback so far:
The ability to scroll content on the remote machine does not work, neither with the mouse nor with the touchpad. Dragging with the scroll bar or clicking on the scroll bars must be used when scrolling remote content.

Have a nice day
Mar 06, 2023 7:09:42 pm EST
Hello Oldřich,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that since this is an Alpha-version release for preview purposes, some of the default features supported by Host for Windows might not be available yet. The advanced mouse scroll feature will definitely be available in the subsequent releases of Host/Agent for Linux.

Let us know if you have more questions.
Jim Tracey, User (Posts: 20)
Mar 06, 2023 7:48:14 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Unlike Oldřich, I'm successful in scrolling with a roller ball and mouse scroll wheel. Touchpad scroll is lacking.

When accessing from an android phone or tablet the mouse is not visible remotely. Not sure if it's the viewer or Linux host
Left running overnight several days. Connection remained available and accessible. Very stable.
While it may be the fact that it's a local connection, it's very quick and responsive.
An issue I'm  sure will be addressed in a later release is the need to restart the host manually after restarting the Linux machine.

All in all a great start. Looking forward to further releases and will post any issues that may be encountered.

Thanks
Mar 07, 2023 7:38:50 am EST
Hello,
I understand that some functions are not in the Alpha-version... I didn't mean it as a criticism, just an information about the fact and the functionality. And I have to agree with Jim about the scrolling. You can use the mouse to scroll on the remote machine, when using the touchpad, scrolling on the remote machine does not work... I believe that in the final version all the standard functions will work and maybe something extra... :-))

Thanks

Have a nice day
Mar 07, 2023 6:04:11 pm EST
Hello Oldřich and Jim,

Thank you both for the provided feedback.

Of course, we will definitely aim for the final stable release to have the standard features that are currently available in Host for Windows. I will forward the notes about the touchpad scrolling and will check with them on the manual restart of Host after the system reboot as well. We appreciate your input.

Let us know if you have any questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)