Community

All 6.3.0.2 hosts show offline, unable to connect

Links used in this discussion
Martin Eichelman, User (Posts: 14)
Nov 10, 2021 6:55:33 pm EST
As the title says, all of my hosts that still use 6.3.0.2 with the old 9 digit key show offline and I'm unable to connect.  Using 6.10.10.0 viewer.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Nov 11, 2021 8:08:49 am EST
Hello Martin,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try updating your remote Hosts to the latest version 7.0.2.0 or at least to the previous stable version 6.10.10.0? In this case the issue might be occurring due to the Host version being outdated.
The latest version 7.0.2.0 is available for download on this page. Alternatively, if you want to update your Hosts to the version 6.10.10.0, it's available for download on this page.

Hope that helps.
Nov 11, 2021 11:19:10 am EST
That's a nice workaround, but not exactly feasible.  The hosts are spread out over a large geophraphic area, so it would take quite a while to visit every site.  Since they're offline, I can't get to them to update remotely.  And even if I could, I've found the remote updates have failed, requiring a complete reinstall, about a third of the time.  Again, requiring onsite access to the systems.

I cannot update to version 7 yet, because of the incompatibilities between viewer and host with older versions.
Nov 11, 2021 1:02:00 pm EST
Hello Martin,

Thank you for the clarification.

That's a nice workaround, but not exactly feasible. The hosts are spread out over a large geophraphic area, so it would take quite a while to visit every site. Since they're offline, I can't get to them to update remotely.

I understand that updating your remote Hosts might be a time-consuming process in this case, but unfortunately, there's very little we can do to help you to resolve the issue unless the Hosts are updated to at least version 6.10.10.0 as in this case their current version is severely outdated and simply updating them will most probably resolve the issue, especially since we've switched to using 12-digits Internet-ID codes for Hosts a few version ago as well (namely, starting version 6.6.0.2).
In addition, we could've also examine the Host log files to see if they might contain any additional error entries, but the log files are stored on the remote Host machine as well.

However, if there's a chance that there might be a remote user at one of the remote Hosts, you can ask them to update the Host manually to the version 6.10.10.0 and see if this works for at least this one Host. You can also configure a custom One-Click installation package and send it over to the remote user, so that they would only need to run it - Host will be updated automatically.
Please note that your Viewer of version 6.10.10.0 will automatically configure Host installation package of the same version (6.10.10.0).

And even if I could, I've found the remote updates have failed, requiring a complete reinstall, about a third of the time. Again, requiring onsite access to the systems.

Unfortunately, the failing remote update is probably caused by an outdated Host version as well since we've completely re-written the "Simple Update" process starting version 6.10.8.0. However, if you can log on to some of the remote Hosts, please try updating them using the Advanced Update method (using the Remote Install Tool) instead as it might be a workaround and a way to update Hosts remotely in this case.

If it's possible to update at least one remote Host to version 6.10.10.0 and the issue with the Host being offline still persists, please feel free to send us the Host log files for examination. You can send them to support@remoteutilities.com or attach to a ticket in the Ticket System.

Hope that helps.
Nov 11, 2021 1:17:36 pm EST
FYI, I know it's not a 9 digit vs 12 digit issue.  I have hosts that were updated to 6.10.10.0 that still use the old 9 digit ID, and they're online and can be accessed.  But since you brought it up, are you saying 9 digit IDs are going to stop working as well?  How would I possibly get a new ID remotely without a physical presence to each system?
Nov 11, 2021 2:42:18 pm EST
Hello Martin,

Thank you for the clarification.

We do not plan to stop supporting the 9-digit Internet-ID codes as we do our best to maintain as much backward compatibility as possible. However, we do recommend upgrading the 9-digit codes to the 12-digit ones to improve the overall stability of the connection.
Since you’ve mentioned that you have other Hosts with the 9-digit Internet-ID codes of version 6.10.10.0, then it does seem to be an issue caused by the Host’s outdated version. In this case, simply updating Hosts might help to resolve the issue without actually generating new codes.
However, if you would like to replace the older Internet-ID codes anyway, you can do so with the help of Remote Install Tool which allows you to update the Host remotely along with updating its settings. You simply need to configure a custom MSI installation package to use with the Remote Install Tool.
I’m order to generate new Internet-ID codes please make sure to enable the Generate a new internet-ID code and When updating existing Hosts, overwrite their Internet-ID code with the generated code checkbox - these options will ensure that new Internet-ID code is generated upon the installation. You can also enable the Send Internet-ID to email feature which will automatically send an email with access credentials to a specified email address.
Here’s a related guide with detailed description for each feature in case it might provide some helpful information as well.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)