New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Error. Another user is running this copy of R-Viewer

Links used in this discussion
G Hall, User (Posts: 6)
May 31, 2014 4:08:51 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
In trying to run RU Viewer on Windows 8.1, no window opens on run.  Attempting to start again shows "Error. Another user is running this copy of R-Viewer"

Any insight appreciated.
Edited:G Hall - May 31, 2014 4:09:18 pm EDT
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 31, 2014 4:39:35 pm EDT
Hello,

The Close button (the red button at the top right corner of the window) in the Viewer hides the program into the system tray . To quit the Viewer use File -> Exit command.

Hope that helps.
May 31, 2014 5:12:49 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

The system tray isn't showing the application as running and it doesn't show on the desktop when run.
May 31, 2014 5:42:58 pm EDT
I recommend rebooting the PC and then trying to run the Viewer. Let me know if that didn't help.
Jun 01, 2014 11:42:49 am EDT
No different behaviour after reboot.
Jun 01, 2014 12:27:15 pm EDT
Hello,

Make sure that the program is not blocked by antivirus software. I would recommend explicitly adding the path to the Viewer installation folder to your antivirus software exceptions.

So far I reckon no other explanations for such behavior other than extremely strict security settings or antivirus software activity.
Jun 01, 2014 1:54:11 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

Added the Viewer exe to Windows Defender exclusion list.  Same result.

The portable version of Viewer does run OK, on the other hand.
Jun 01, 2014 2:03:53 pm EDT
If so, then the installation got corrupted somehow. Please, uninstall the Viewer, clean up/delete the installation folder and re-install the Viewer this time as an administrator. This should help.
Michael Sheahan, User (Posts: 1)
Nov 11, 2021 4:32:02 pm EST
I am having the same issue. I originally installed a viewer on my PC to try it out, then when I tried to install the viewer on another PC I began to get this message. I was not even sure how the program worked at that point. Once I encountered the error, I then installed the USB key version of the viewer on that type of device. It worked fine in the original network it was installed in. In trying to use it on another network to connect remotely to my original network, I am getting this message. Error: Another user is using this copy of R-viewer. I used the remote utilities program to figure out what level of license to buy. I am the only operator who wants to use the program to connect, at different times between five computers. RU advised me to just get a free license. So, if I am able to use a free license to do this, why do I continue to have this problem. More importantly how do I fix it?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Nov 12, 2021 9:54:49 am EST
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that our Free License does not restrict you to a specific workstation - the only limitation for the free license users is that they can only add up to 10 remote connection to their address book.  For more information on the Free License please refer to this page.

In this case, if your Viewer is not minimized to the taskbar, then the issue might be occurring due to some files in the Viewer installation folder being somehow corrupted (perhaps, by some firewall/antivirus software activity). Please try the following:
1. Fully uninstall Viewer on the machine where you get the "Error: Another user is using this copy of R-viewer" error message as described in this tutorial and make sure to clean up the previous installation traces.
2. Re-install Viewer.
3. Make sure to add the Viewer's installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Viewer\* to the exception list as described here.
4. Run Viewer and see if the issue persists.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)