New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

You computer has been connected in a remote session...

Links used in this discussion
Peter MacIntyre, User (Posts: 8)
Dec 21, 2021 10:13:37 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, I have this message on my host screen. How do I remove it since it is a legitimate connection ?  This message assumes unauthorized access. It should be able to be acknowledged and then removed from the screen. By the way the grammar is wrong as well ... it should be " Your computer..." not "You computer..."
Anthony Waddell, User (Posts: 13)
Dec 21, 2021 3:31:48 pm EST
I fully agree - the host should be able to acknowledge and dismiss.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Dec 21, 2021 4:05:47 pm EST
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your message.

How do I remove it since it is a legitimate connection ? This message assumes unauthorized access.

This connection alert is persistent and cannot be removed. The notification was added for security reasons and is shown for all trial and free license users. Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.

By the way the grammar is wrong as well ... it should be " Your computer..." not "You computer..."

Thank you for the feedback. We'll make sure to correct this typo as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Rob Eccles, User (Posts: 3)
Dec 21, 2021 9:39:28 pm EST
I understand this for access via 'Internet ID', but for LAN access within my home it would be nice to have it be optional.
Anthony Waddell, User (Posts: 13)
Dec 22, 2021 9:06:06 am EST
Is my understanding correct that the paid version does not have this persistent semi-transparent connection alert? What, exactly, does the paid version have? Does it have any kind of alert at all, or does it have an alert that can be dismissed, does it have an alert that can be optional or configured by the user?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Dec 22, 2021 10:11:28 am EST
Hello,

We understand everyone's frustration. But we had to introduce such strict measures. Antivirus software companies and various spam-fighting organizations (e.g. Spamhaus) are getting increasingly intolerant of remote desktop software, if not to say paranoid.

I understand this for access via 'Internet ID', but for LAN access within my home it would be nice to have it be optional.

That makes perfect sense. We will remove this notification for direct connections in the nearest update. Thank you.  

Is my understanding correct that the paid version does not have this persistent semi-transparent connection alert?

Yes, any paid license will remove this message. And it's not because we want to squeeze more money from our free license users. Rather, it's that we want to make it more difficult to use the "out-of-the-box" software version and free license for illegal activity.

What, exactly, does the paid version have? Does it have any kind of alert at all, or does it have an alert that can be dismissed, does it have an alert that can be optional or configured by the user?

There are the same features as in the free version, i.e. complete functionality. This specific alert isn't shown in the paid version, although it CAN be enabled in that version if the customer wants so for some reason (e.g. warn their remote partners about a connection).
Peter MacIntyre, User (Posts: 8)
Dec 22, 2021 12:04:37 pm EST
At the very least it should be moveable on the screen as its location is right over the message area of the taskbar, it is hard to read any information that displays underneath it. Keep it if you must but allow it to be moved for readability purposes, please.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Dec 22, 2021 12:17:02 pm EST
Hi Peter,

If legit users will be able to move it, so will the bad guys . The banner/message is transparent and can be clicked through, i.e. it doesn't affect the ability to select menus, click buttons etc.

Much like the same as Windows warning about activation.
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Dec 23, 2021 4:03:48 pm EST
Support level: Starter
It seems to be always over the "OK" and "Cancel buttons of dialog boxes.
Often times it is hard to see or read the buttons underneath this message.
Can you consider make the message more transparent?
Perhaps it could fade up and down, like a "breathing" led indicator.  That might make it a little
less disruptive but just as informative.
Bottom line, if you have to put it there, please consider good options to make it less disruptive.
After all, if someone doesn't heed the warning, then its on them.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Dec 24, 2021 9:20:48 am EST
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will forward your feedback to our development department for further review.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)