New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Your getting started and knowlege base is flawed in respect to monitor

Links used in this discussion
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Dec 23, 2021 7:59:26 pm EST
Support level: Starter
I have been using remote utilities for sometime with computers with monitors.
Then I started introducing a set of computers which I expected to be "headless"
I had all kinds of rashes of problems that were masked because I cleverly was sharing a monitor
from one station with the rest of the computers that were headless when I * really needed * a screen.
The monitor had both VGA and DVI, and I was moving a DVI cable around for weeks I chased  problems
of some these computers refusing to connect.  You see, they are online, but they they will not finish the
connect without a screen.  Usually I was behind the computers moving the cable around and didn't notice
the behavior change right away when I plugged it in.  One day I just happen to be able to see the screen when
I shoved the cable into the connecting computer and saw the other computer instantly connect.

So my recommendations are 1) plan to have some indication that a computer that is ONLINE  does not
in fact have a screen attached.  Surely the host knows this, or else it would be connecting!  Can't it say back to
the viewer, I'd like to connect but there is no screen?  Can't the viewer even know this as part of recognizing the
host is online?  OK, so that's a code change.  So in the meantime, or if you do not intend to change the behaviour,
then you must at least mention in the getting started that the remote machines must maintain have a monitor attached in order to function.  And in the Knowege base, under the section "problem connecting with an Internet ID" (which is misnamed because there are a rash of items there not related to Internet IDs)  One of thiose bold items needs to be "DO YOU HAVE A MONITOR ATTACHED?"

My post mortem on this whole debacle on how I wasted so much time chasing my time is because this
fact was ommited from these sections and the software didn't include the smarts to let me know that a basic
requirement for the system to function - a monitor- was not present.

There.  Have at it.  and watch a lot of noise go away from your Community.   :)
Dec 23, 2021 8:06:53 pm EST
In fact this was part of a problem I was talking about on this forum with connection issues and I received some very kind and timely  help but even that person failed to recognize that it might be a "no monitor" scenario and ask if one was attached.  Should it be obvious to someone new to this technology that a monitor would be required?  I don't think so, not until they have though through that without one maybe WIndows can't report what the screen attributes are and without that info the screen sharing that programs like RU will likely be precluded from doing said sharing.   I see it now, but not before knowing it was a problem.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 24, 2021 9:34:06 am EST
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for the provided feedback.

We will consider adding a section on headless machines to our Documentation/Knowledge base.
As for the connectivity issue - please try enabling the Use legacy capture mode feature in the Host Settings -> Other tab and see if you're able to connect to a headless Host machine this way. After enabling the feature please make sure to restart Host in order for the changes to be applied.

Hope that helps.
Dec 24, 2021 5:04:00 pm EST
Hi, thanks yes I can try the legacy capture mode.  I have attached monitors in the meantime
and I do plan to get a set of those dummy plugs in each signal variety that makes the PC
think there is a monitor attached.  I think thats ultimately the best solution especially
if it mimics a monitor so well that I can set resolutions as desired in windows.
Dec 24, 2021 5:13:09 pm EST
BTW: you asked about whether the other thread was one in question about not being able to connect- yes
- and I left a response on that post saying that I thought the reason for the inability to connect was due to monitor less stations- the monitor being moved between three hosts at points where I needed a physical head attached to do a configuration or BIOS change.... or install a new version of RU because I couldn't get the host to connect remotely.
(now I have to read up on doing an install remotely, something about msi...)
Dec 24, 2021 5:25:48 pm EST
Many apologies for the terrible post title.  It was late...
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Dec 27, 2021 1:17:25 pm EST
Hello Douglas,

I have attached monitors in the meantime
and I do plan to get a set of those dummy plugs in each signal variety that makes the PC
think there is a monitor attached.  I think thats ultimately the best solution especially
if it mimics a monitor so well that I can set resolutions as desired in windows.

Of course, that sounds like a great and helpful solution as well. We just recommend enabling the "Use legacy capture mode" feature as it typically helps to resolve most, if not all, similar issues.

(now I have to read up on doing an install remotely, something about msi...)

You probably mean the Remote Install Tool - you can use this tool to install/uninstall, start/stop and update a Host remotely. Since the Remote Install Tool requires an MSI installation file, you can either download a vanilla MSI installer on our download page here or build a custom MSI installation package via the MSI Configurator Tool. Here's a related guide on configuring a Standard MSI Package that might be useful.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)