Community

Self Hosted Server

Links used in this discussion
John Durchak, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 17, 2022 6:34:01 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Can some one please help me understand where this server comes into play? When I look at the settings on my Viewer installation side, I don't see any setting that show that I am connecting to any server hosted by  Remote Utilities and  my understanding is that  the server is to handle the Authentication between Client and Host side, but in all my connections, I have them configured as Direct Connection, so I don't believe  that there is anything that is telling Remote Utilities to contact any server for Authentication. Is this something that would only be required for larger setups such as large organizations where there would be an Active Directory or something similar where user authentication must be done through an Authentication server? If that is the case, then shouldn't all large setups be required to use the self hosted server?

I must be missing something somewhere, and would love for some simple understanding. Thanks
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2992)
Jan 17, 2022 7:42:52 pm EST
Hi John,

Connection types:

1. Direct connection. No intermediate server is used, Viewer and Host communication directly.
2. Internet-ID connection. An intermediate server is always used. This can be either our hosted server, or a self-hosted server, your choice.

Authentication methods (are enabled on the Host when you configure it):

1. Single password. No separate users, no logins, just a password.
2. Remote Utilities security (login and password pair and permissions can be set per user).
3. Windows security. Piggyback on Windows security model and use Windows accounts for authenticating on a remote Host  (or Active Directory accounts if on AD network).
4. Custom (self-hosted) server security. Using a self-hosted server for authentication. Somewhat similar to what a domain controller does in an AD network, i.e. acts as a gatekeeper and keeps all user authentication information.

Now connection types and authentication methods are not directly related. There can be any mix of them.

For example, you may use direct connection as your connection type, and use custom server security for authentication. In this case your Viewer and Hosts will only use your self-hosted server for that purpose (i.e. authentication) and not as a relay server for Internet-ID connection.

Another example, you may use Internet-ID connection through our hosted servers with Windows security authentication. That is, you can connect to a remote PC over the Internet and authenticate on the remote Host using the credentials of a Windows account on that remote machine (e.g. the local Administrator account). Of course, you must first add permissions for that account in Windows Security authentication settings on the Host.

While it's true that any combinations may be used, typically certain authentication methods are more often used with a specific connection type. For instance, using Windows security with direct connection makes sense because - as a rule - direct connection is used in a LAN or even a domain network and it's perfectly natural to use Windows accounts for authentication than to create accounts anew in Host settings (e.g. for Remote Utilities security).

Custom server security is a middle ground. It tries to bring the benefits of centralized account management to a scenario with Internet-ID connection used across remote machines scattered across the internet, i.e. not on the same LAN/AD.

To sum it up, you shouldn't bother with the self-hosted server (RU Server) unless it's absolutely necessary for your scenario.

Hope that helps.
John Durchak, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 17, 2022 8:36:11 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Thank you, that was extremely helpful. And yes, in my situation, I would only be using this for my own devices all on a local lan, so no authentication server needed, and I would only be using the other connections for my client for whom I manage all of his operations, but as far as PC's go, there are only 2, and a 3 only if requested since  that is his personal PC, so in none of these causes would I need any kind of authentication server.

My only concern was that since you guys we kind enough to provide me with a free license  since my remote system count would never exceed 10, I had considered the self hosted so that I wasn't using your servers.  I don't feel right using the servers of the company that just gave me free access to their software, and since my company is not a not for profit, I did not create my company to make money.. ( I know that doesn't sound right but it's true). I am om Disability due to medical issues so  I can no longer work. I created my company to keep myself busy since I worked my entire career in IT, specifically  Engineering from Application / Development Support, to Systems Integration and Systems Admin. So pretty much all the money I earn from my Consulting  goes to pay 100% of my operational costs for my VPN's and the Business Applications that I require that don't have a GPL, or similar licensing.  In those situations, I usually try to work with the developers in some sort of a support, QA, or Design assistance. It's my way of trying to pay it back for the opportunity to use their software. So obviously my first step is to always try to ensure that if there is a choice of using their servers, or self hosting, I always opt for self hosting. This keeps their costs down, and I am less reliant on them should there by any issue with their servers. Next, is to offer my assistance in any way possible, and only request support to either better understand the product, or when I really have no other options available. And lastly, to offer my assistance should there be any niche that the developers may feel I would be a good fit for, or would like my thoughts etc.  

So this is why I was asking about the self hosted, while I really don't have any operational need, I did want to take the burden of using your servers if by design I have to use either your server or a self hosted.  The only saving grace for me here is that it  sounds like while I need to access the server for the Internet Connection ID, the cycles required by your servers for what I would require would likely not even register. So for that I would feel OK to leave it as is, however, if you ever shut your system down for main't  it would be good to have a server of my own available as a stand by :)

So again, thank you so much and please do let me know if I can contribute in any way especially once I have learned the system a little better, I have only been using it for about 2 hours tops lol..

Cheers,

John
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Jan 18, 2022 1:48:59 pm EST
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that we always recommend to use Direct connection if possible, since it's always faster than Internet-ID connection. In addition, you can also establish Direct connection over the Internet if the remote Host machine is accessible via a static IP address or if it's possible to set up a port forwarding rule in the router settings on the Host side.
However, in case if you want to connect to a remote Host over the Internet then Internet-ID connection via the public server is the fastest and the most simple option. If you'd like to set up a self-hosted RU Server, then you can easily configure the server's relay role only by following this tutorial.

So for that I would feel OK to leave it as is, however, if you ever shut your system down for main't it would be good to have a server of my own available as a stand by :)

Of course, you can switch to using your self-hosted server or back to our public servers anytime. We constantly monitor our servers to make sure there's no downtime and they run as smoothly as possible. You can also see notifications about our server maintenance on our Twitter.

Please let us know if you have other questions. We're happy to help.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)