New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Remove the notice near the system tray

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 19, 2022 8:33:58 am EST
Hello Márcio,

Thank you for your feedback.

I often use Remote Utilities to access my own computer from work, and there is nobody near my computer to click on the message to turn it off (if its clicklable from the host).

It is not removable even from the Host side. The idea of this message is to be shown permanently during a remote session.

Besides, the message content is absolutely useless. If I saw an authorized remote session to my computer while I was using it, I would simply unplug the network cable instead of typing or clicking a web adress with information regarding this situation. The whole message itself is rather nonsense. "oh no, my computer is being controlled by whoever knows and I'm going to open a site with information about it, nice". And this, while the other person is watching. And controlling my computer. Seriously? lol...

Without such a message the remote user might not even know that someone is being connected to their computer. This is because the Host icon may be removed under the expandable arrow in Windows system tray and may not be immediately visible. And even if it's visible in the system tray - not everyone knows what that icon means and they might not even know that such category of programs - remote access software - even exists.

If you are worried about that "someone" having access to the host options, then let them be set only on the host side, so that "someone" on the remote side can't change them. Simple, and only the user can set these options.

You are considering a scenario when the remote user knows about Host and willingly installed it or at least authorized someone to install it. However, this message is about a totally different situation, when a bad guy lures an unsuspecting victim to install this software on their computer - NOT when a remote user willingly installs it and knows what this software is about.

Of course, in most cases users and sessions are legit and this message can be annoying. But we did not invent the wheel here :) What is the percentage of thieves and burglars among the population? Rarely more than a few percent. And yet, we all HAVE to use locks and passwords, and safes and strong boxes and lock our cars just to protect against that small percentage of not-so-perfect citizens.

Ever thought why the society spends trilliions of dollars a year on security, including IT security? Yes, all because of them - 1-2% of the population not willing to follow the rules.

Hope you understand.
Márcio André, User (Posts: 8)
Jan 19, 2022 8:52:56 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, Conrad

Thanks for your reply.

What I do know is, there are a few other ways to remote access our own computers without a bothering notice (other remote access softwares display them, but they do not get in the way, while still be visible), and as I do not use Remote Utilities for work - so no income is directly related to it - I can't afford to pay just to not see that warning.

I've supported Remote Utilities in the past with solving issues related to hosts with multiple displays and I still feel is one of the best remote access softwares around, but this is a real turn-off for me.

I understand allright, so I hope you understand too - that notice will likely make you loose potentially paying customers that would gladly pay for your software in other situations. Just not this one.

Regards and best wishes for your all.
Jan 19, 2022 9:02:40 am EST
Hi Márcio ,

I understand allright, so I hope you understand too - that notice will likely make you loose potentially paying customers that would gladly pay for your software in other situations. Just not this one.

This message is not visible for a commercial license owners. And it's not because we want to squeeze money from our free license users, as we explained earlier. We just wanted to put another obstacle to abuse of the 'out-of-the-box' free RU version. It was just too easy to abuse it - and as a consequence we had a lot of headache with antivirus software.

What truly made us losing our customers and getting refund requests was antivirus software blocking the program for our corporate clients, just because yet another "mom's hacker" used the free RU to remote into his ex-girlfriend's computere to steal some photos. Well, that is what kills customer trust, and not extra security measures.
MaxBlitzer, User (Posts: 68)
Jan 19, 2022 4:10:54 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hi Márcio ,

This message is not visible for a commercial license owners. And it's not because we want to squeeze money from our free license users, as we explained earlier. We just wanted to put another obstacle to abuse of the 'out-of-the-box' free RU version. It was just too easy to abuse it - and as a consequence we had a lot of headache with antivirus software.

What truly made us losing our customers and getting refund requests was antivirus software blocking the program for our corporate clients, just because yet another "mom's hacker" used the free RU to remote into his ex-girlfriend's computere to steal some photos. Well, that is what kills customer trust, and not extra security measures.

That's not true. You need to be on an enterprise plan. It is money gauging and your reasoning that buying a larger license negates the limitations is proving that.

Your rational that an attacker can get the silent installer installed and still need to have a really dumb message to inform the user is illogical.

Even walking through over the phone to install it and the user still gets the message and treats the IT person like it's unsafe. If my name or email address was shown instead, they'd know it was me, not some attacker.

I said years ago the message needed to be changed and was completely ignored, only to have the same complaint for years.

And has these changes stopped AV providers from flagging your software EVERY TIME, no. You're handling this feature very poorly.
Jan 19, 2022 7:49:21 pm EST
Hello Max,

That's not true. You need to be on an enterprise plan. It is money gauging and your reasoning that buying a larger license negates the limitations is proving that.

The reason why we introduced this for free license owners is to put an obstacle of abusing the free version out-of-he-box for illegal activity.

If we wanted to start selling to free license owners, we would simply stop offering the free license at all.

Your rational that an attacker can get the silent installer installed and still need to have a really dumb message to inform the user is illogical.

The fact that this message is shown explicitly to the remote user is suffucient. Not that we are happy introducing such measures, but they are required if we want to get rid of unnecessary a/v software detections.  

Even walking through over the phone to install it and the user still gets the message and treats the IT person like it's unsafe. If my name or email address was shown instead, they'd know it was me, not some attacker.

If the free license (or a trial license) is used, yes it'll be shown. Simply because we are not clairvoyant and cannot programmatically distinguish good guys who use our software for good deeds from bad guys and hackers.

For that reason, the message wording is neutral. It just says that a remote session is in progress and gives a link to a page with more explanation about the message and the software.

I said years ago the message needed to be changed and was completely ignored, only to have the same complaint for years.

Perhaps, you mean another message since the message discussed here was introduced in version 7.  

Remove the notice near the system tray - 19 Jan 2022 07:48:16

And has these changes stopped AV providers from flagging your software EVERY TIME, no. You're handling this feature very poorly.

It should take time, maybe a couple of months before the dust settles. As with any new release there's momentum in a/v detections - modern a/v software detections are almost entirely based on statistics, AI, heuristics that sort of thing. They almost never judge objectively and of course will never remove an existing detection (even if a file is benign) unless they are forced to do so.
Jan 20, 2022 11:19:43 am EST
Conrad,

Your pricing page clearly shows two paid license without this feature. Why do you keep saying it's not shown for commercial users? That's confusing and annoying to be gaslighted. You should be specifically mentioning the $499 and higher commercial license not 50% of your commercial licenses.

There's no connection between this message and your constant flagging by Av software for YEARS. How this isn't solved with digitally signed certification, and threats from legal. There's a difference between Av software saying the app may be potentially used as a RAT, versus Microsoft Defender that just outright says it has a virus. No other software I use has the ongoing issues as you guys.

(And yes, I'm familiar with the v6 message and stopped buying upgrades when I realized nothing that bothered me was getting addressed, mainly this one).
Jan 20, 2022 11:34:10 am EST
Hello Max,

our pricing page clearly shows two paid license without this feature. Why do you keep saying it's not shown for commercial users? That's confusing and annoying to be gaslighted. You should be specifically mentioning the $499 and higher commercial license not 50% of your commercial licenses.

The line in the pricing table you are referring to mentioned a different message, specifically this one. Yes, it is shown for all commercial licenses except the Pro and Site and only when some conditions are met.

Whereas in this thread we are discussing a different message, the one that I've shown in my previous post. And this message is shown for free license and trial users only.

There's no connection between this message and your constant flagging by Av software for YEARS. How this isn't solved with digitally signed certification, and threats from legal. There's a difference between Av software saying the app may be potentially used as a RAT, versus Microsoft Defender that just outright says it has a virus. No other software I use has the ongoing issues as you guys.

... and then they remove the detection/classification and apologize. It's all the same every time.
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Jan 20, 2022 1:00:02 pm EST
Support level: Starter
This all makes my head hurt.  But maybe I have something here>
https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/install-and-uninstall/
Would it make sense for all the security messages to go away if a self hosted server is used?
I don't think a bad actor could get a self hosted server into a target network.
Right?
If HOST knows its on a self hosted network, it would suppress the messages.
Then you can be free to protect the installation and running of the server OUT THE WAZOO
so that bad actors can't install one remotely without some on-site direct user interaction.
So all of us who would like to see the security messages go away, just has to create their own server.
Or not use internet IDs at all.
Edited:Douglas Crawford - Jan 20, 2022 1:05:20 pm EST
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 20, 2022 4:26:33 pm EST
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for your input and feedback.

However, please note that it's possible to point Host to a self-hosted RU Server when using a pre-configured custom installation package built via the MSI Configurator Tool.
Sorry if this makes our software less useful for you.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Jan 20, 2022 4:50:11 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello Max,

our pricing page clearly shows two paid license without this feature. Why do you keep saying it's not shown for commercial users? That's confusing and annoying to be gaslighted. You should be specifically mentioning the $499 and higher commercial license not 50% of your commercial licenses.

The line in the pricing table you are referring to mentioned a different message, specifically this one. Yes, it is shown for all commercial licenses except the Pro and Site and only when some conditions are met.

Whereas in this thread we are discussing  a different message , the one that I've shown in my previous post. And this message is shown for free license and trial users only.

... and then they remove the detection/classification and apologize. It's all the same every time.

This is a three year old thread and is about first connection message. Just check the first page.

But are you saying that for free users in v7 there's a permanent notice box that can't be removed for free users? That would be bonkers.

Edit: I see now that instead of opening a new thread, this new message was discussed in this existing thread about first connect. So the point is now, instead of removing this obtrusiveness, you've doubled down with another one.
Edited:MaxBlitzer - Jan 20, 2022 4:57:34 pm EST

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)