New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Remove the notice near the system tray

Links used in this discussion
Luc De Groote, User (Posts: 3)
Jan 20, 2022 5:06:19 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
In the meantime I paid for a starter solutions and the notice doesn't appear any more.
The reason why the free solution wasn't acceptable any more was indeed because the notice was glued to the host screen and stayed there forever. It couldn't be removed, not even by the host and not even when there wasn't a connection with RU any more or when working in another program. It was there to stay forever ... and that is simply unacceptable.
snk-nick, User (Posts: 59)
Jan 20, 2022 6:07:17 pm EST

Conrad Sallian wrote:
In one of the upcoming updates we will implement saving/exporting configurator settings to a file so that you could quickly load your previous choices.

Not to keep an old topic going but was this ever implemented?
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Jan 20, 2022 6:21:52 pm EST
Support level: Starter
Pauline:
>However, please note that it's possible to point Host to a self-hosted RU Server when using a pre-configured custom >installation package built via the MSI Configurator Tool.
Are you saying that this makes it possible for a bad actor to substitute his own RU Server?
If so, then all bets are off I guess, unless that server is on the network with the hosts and those
hosts detected that fact.  That would be grounds for not display a message, as the server being on that
same network would prove a trusted connection (in my mind)
It might not be unreasonable for a technician to put a RU server on each network that is being managed.
It could be a cheap obsolete machine.  Maybe that has ramifications though with the technicians ability to
to switch the installations they are talking to.
Jan 20, 2022 6:29:24 pm EST

Douglas Crawford wrote:

Are you saying that this makes it possible for a bad actor to substitute his own RU Server?

I run my own RU servers and there is zero difference between them and the company hosted ones, you simply set the installer to point to your server URL instead. Making it more complicated just opens up more potential for problems.

As a commercial user, I’m a fan of anything that lowers the ease and ability for bad actors to use RU… if you’re using it for personal use the restrictions are a fair trade off for free software and if you are using it professionally then you should purchase a professional license - negates all these issues.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jan 21, 2022 11:35:02 am EST
Hello snk-nick,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, this feature hasn't been implemented yet. However, we do have it in our roadmap and it will be implemented in our future updates. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Douglas Crawford, User (Posts: 75)
Jan 21, 2022 9:35:26 pm EST
Support level: Starter
snk-nick  That was well put, right!  So yes, trying to make the free version work on "customer" premises is not a good thing to do. Anyone supporting users is not using it for personal use!  
However someone using this to support their aged relative from across the country  (a typical use case for free use)  should have a way to create a free but trusted configuration, IMHO, I was suggesting a server at the site of  the relatives  could do that IF creating a server at site would be considered the trusted piece that, upon determining there is a server, would be part of the logic that supresses the message from being displayed.
Seems likely to me creating a server on the network of the target would something that a bad actor would not be able to trick a user into, not as easily as tricking them into installing the host.  RU should be open to ideas on how to create a trusted situation on the free version that would along these lines, Of course, they have better things really to do with their time, so I'm not saying its imperative on them, but it would show good will to consider it.
That would go a long way to dispel the idea that the message is related to generating revenue.
It has been said the message is there because the free version can't be trusted, well, then consider making it trusted, that's all.  I propose the server is the key. Maybe not.
Edited:Douglas Crawford - Jan 21, 2022 9:49:11 pm EST
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jan 22, 2022 6:58:31 am EST

snk-nick wrote:

We are working on this change. It will be added soon.
Jan 22, 2022 7:03:14 am EST
Hi Douglas,

However someone using this to support their aged relative from across the country (a typical use case for free use) should have a way to create a free but trusted configuration

There is not a problem to create a trusted configuration for free license users. There is a problem to distinguish good free license users from bad free license users who would abuse such trusted configuration.  :) And that problem is not one that can be solved by technical means.
Jan 30, 2022 5:20:34 pm EST
David Hester,
We get it, you don’t like the notice.

Now kindly stop editing your message over and over, every time you do it notifies everybody subscribed to the thread.
Jan 30, 2022 6:35:05 pm EST
The user has been banned from the forum and the message was deleted for violating items 2 and 4 of our forum rules.

Please, keep the discussions civil.

Thank you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)