Community

Wake On LAN

Links used in this discussion
Patrick Riley, User (Posts: 27)
Jan 22, 2022 12:45:43 pm EST
I am trying to get WOL to work but I am having trouble. I was able to use windows WOL App with no trouble so I know it is configured properly on the host. Is there something I am missing on the viewer? Most WOL software uses the MAC address of the host you are waking up. Does RU do that too? I would like to get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Jan 24, 2022 7:59:30 am EST
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your message.

Viewer must be in the same subnet as the Host since the WoL packet won't travel across networks. However, in the recent update you can also use WoL across networks too provided that you use an intermediate Host in the target network to forward the WoL packet.

Here is how to use both features https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/wake-on-lan/
Jan 24, 2022 8:06:56 am EST
They are definitely in the same subnet. I've also tried using another host in the same subnet with no luck.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Jan 24, 2022 8:15:50 am EST
Hi Patrick,

Are you able to establish direct connection via Remote Utilities at all? Is Host visible in your address book as a yellow Online icon before you log in to it?
Jan 24, 2022 8:19:50 am EST
I'm trying to use the WOL feature if the computer is shut down for any reason. Is it not supported if the computer is shut down? As I mentioned in my first post, it works with the windows app.
Jan 24, 2022 8:20:28 am EST
But to answer your question, it is not online since it is shut down.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Jan 24, 2022 11:59:57 am EST
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please let us know what version of Remote Utilities is used on both sides of the connection?
In addition, please see this forum thread where one of our users has provided an extensive guide on how to remotely start a Host machine from a full shutdown via the WoL feature by sending magic packets.

Looking forward to your reply.
Jan 24, 2022 12:27:00 pm EST
My viewer is running version 7.1.2.0 and the host is running 7.1.1.0
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Jan 24, 2022 12:58:25 pm EST
Hello Patrick,

Could you please try updating your Host to the latest version 7.1.2.0 as well and see if the issue persists? The latest version is available for download on this page or via the self-update feature. Updating Host to the latest version might help since version mismatch sometimes might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

Please let us know if the issue persists.
Jan 24, 2022 3:30:44 pm EST
I updated the host to the current version but the issue remains.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)