New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Host not working at all as of 2/1/22, Vipre blocking downloads

Links used in this discussion
Derry McCormick, User (Posts: 5)
Feb 01, 2022 7:21:12 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Neither older version or new upgrade today work.  Click on Host, asks if you will allow changes, say yes then it closes and nothing happens.  This on multiple computers.  Also viewer shows hosts online, but when you try to connect it says they are offline so can't update them either.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Feb 02, 2022 1:02:44 pm EST
Hello Derry,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you were trying to upgrade from version 6 of Remote Utilities or if you already use version 7? Am I right in assuming that the issue occurs when you try to update your Hosts manually by running the Host installation file on the remote machine?

Looking forward to your reply.
Feb 02, 2022 1:10:05 pm EST
Hi there, I was using 6 which stopped working yesterday.  Went online and saw about the upgrade.  Upgraded - Viewer saw other computers online, but wouldn't let me do remote updates.  My own computer is both host and viewer.  Host doesn't work at all.  I upgraded and reinstalled twice locally.  Opens, asks to allow changes, I say yes and it shuts down again.
Feb 02, 2022 3:17:35 pm EST
Hello Derry,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please try uninstalling Host completely and cleaning the previous installation traces as described here and then reinstalling it once again? However, this time before installing Host please also try adding the Host installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\ to the Vipre exception list as described here (you can additionally try adding to the exceptions the Host installer itself, so the antivirus would let it run).
The latest version of Host 7.1.2.0 is available for download on this page.

Please let us know if this helps to resolve the issue.
Feb 03, 2022 12:47:46 pm EST
Hi there, did all that and reinstalled.  Turned Vipre off.  Installation seemed ok, but it still just shuts down after asking if it can make changes.  Tried stop and start - nothing.  Host settings does open and function, but the host itself won't run.
Attached Files
Host not working at all as of 2/1/22, Vipre blocking downloads
Feb 03, 2022 2:35:44 pm EST
Hello Derry,

Thank you for the update on this.

Could you please clarify if you see the Host's icon in the system tray after starting Host? If there's no Host icon in the system tray, then could you please check if the Host service is running on the machine at all? In case if doesn't, please provide us the following files for examination:
1. Windows System Events Log.
2. Host settings registry key.
3. Host log files. You can locate the log files in the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Logs. Please provide both connection (if any exist) and installation log files from this folder.
You can send all the files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Feb 03, 2022 3:00:55 pm EST
Hi there, no the icon doesn't show on the task bar unless i pin it.  Not sure how I check if it's running at all if it won't open.  i am sending the files you requested to the email address  - subject Derry McCormick host won't run.
Thanks
Feb 03, 2022 3:04:46 pm EST
email is blocking one of the files - says can't be sent.
Attachment types that are blocked

The attachment types that are blocked by this policy include the following:

ade, adp, apk, appx, appxbundle, bat, cab, cer, chm, cmd, com, cpl, dll, dmg, exe, hlp, hta, ins, iso, isp, jar, js, jse, lib, lnk, mde, msc, msi, msix, msixbundle, msp, mst, nsh, pif, ps1, pst, reg, scr, sct, shb, sys, tmp, url, vb, vbe, vbs, vxd, wsc, wsf, wsh, terminal, cod.

Apart from the above extensions, if the file type is a executable or a script or a code file, the file cannot be sent by email.

The emails with these attachments will not be Sent/ Received via Zoho Mail and will be bounced back. This also holds true if these file types are placed in a zip file. That is, even if one file among the many in a zip archive contains any of the above mentioned file types, it will not be sent/received via Zoho Mail.

So if you try to attach any one of these file types in an email, you will receive error messages while attaching the file and the email will not be sent to your recipient(s) and will remain in your outbox.
Feb 03, 2022 5:02:22 pm EST
Hello Derry,

no the icon doesn't show on the task bar unless i pin it.

Please note that the Host icon should not be displayed in the task bar, instead it's displayed in the system tray near the digital clock and the language switch for the keyboard. Could you please check if you can see the Host's icon there?
In addition, please see this Documentation page on the Host icon that might be useful.

Not sure how I check if it's running at all if it won't open.

Please note that the Host service is running in the background, i.e. you will only see the icon in the system tray and not the user interface window on your desktop.
In order to check if the process is running, please press  Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then choose Task Manager. Navigate to the Processes tab and locate the process called Remote Utilities - Host in the list. If you can see this process in the list, it means the Host and its service are running and you can try connecting to them.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)