New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

You computer has been connected in a remote session...

Links used in this discussion
Andy Jackson, User (Posts: 7)
Jan 10, 2022 7:42:38 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
i agree the message should be there for non local connections
Michael Prudent, User (Posts: 4)
Jan 11, 2022 8:25:56 am EST
Thanks, guys, for this very helpful thread.  While it's not a dealbreaker, I too struggle with the message covering up buttons on my screen.  In particular, I've had difficulty responding to Facebook PM's, because your warning sits right where I type for those.
JAMES THOMA, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 01, 2022 9:44:12 pm EST
This makes remote utilities totally worthless!
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Feb 01, 2022 9:50:19 pm EST

JAMES THOMA wrote:

This makes remote utilities totally worthless!

I totally disagree with you.  No other programs give you the opportunity to even remove it with or without paid service. The ability to connect with something FREE and show a simple splash screen makes this product not worthless at all.
Edited:johnran - Feb 01, 2022 9:50:50 pm EST
M R, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 17, 2022 8:22:57 pm EST
Hi,

This is an unwelcome addition to an otherwise pretty good program. A pre-email announcing the change and the resulting difficulties would have been very useful to avoid uprgading to the new version of the server. How can I remotely downgrade a server? It's on a different continent and that window seriously breaks the use of the tray icons. It's a small res screen laptop for my grandparents and they can't see anything behind the window, heck, even i can't see anything behind it. Or you can make it go away after 15 or 30 mins? That will be enough for any security considerations you might have and would still allow my grandparents to use the computer after a while.

You say it's not to convert free users to paid but after so many years of not implementing any security measures like this, I seriously doubt that.

So they key question is, how can i downgrade the server remotely?

P.S. I've been a fan of your program since before 2016. Even with some issues, it's been a unique and FREE way to remote connect for us retail guys. I want to believe you listen to your clients and care about them as much as you care about cashflows.
JAMES THOMA, User (Posts: 2)
Feb 17, 2022 9:40:59 pm EST
The bottom right corner is likely the worst position it could be when reviewing Quickbooks reports as the message covers the report totals.  I would prefer the message be at left bottom or top.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 18, 2022 2:48:17 pm EST
Hello M R and James,

Thank you for your messages.

M R,

How can I remotely downgrade a server?

Do you mean that you want to downgrade Host? Please note that we don't recommend downgrading your installation of Remote Utilities, since Internet-ID connection feature for version 6 was discontinued for free license or trial period users. For more information on these changes please see this page.

Or you can make it go away after 15 or 30 mins? That will be enough for any security considerations you might have and would still allow my grandparents to use the computer after a while.

Please note that we plan to improve the notification banner feature and will add an option to hide the banner on the Viewer's side during the remote session, so that it's only visible on the Host's machine. For more information please see this page.
In addition, please note that after you disconnect and the remote session is ended, the notification banner is not displayed as well.

JAMES THOMA,

The bottom right corner is likely the worst position it could be when reviewing Quickbooks reports as the message covers the report totals. I would prefer the message be at left bottom or top.

Please note that we will add an option to choose the corner to display the notification banner in our future updates, i.e. you will be able to choose any corner of the screen instead of the default location.
In addition, we will add the option to hide the banner on the Viewer's side while connected in the remote session.
Both of these changes hopefully will be available in one of our next updates, but, unfortunately, there's no specific ETA for them yet. For more information please see this page.

Hope that helps.
johnran, User (Posts: 120)
Feb 18, 2022 2:58:53 pm EST
Pauline, will this will  affect the paying users ?  The banner will still not show for the host or the viewer with paid version correct?
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Feb 18, 2022 3:15:54 pm EST
Hello John,

Thank you for your message.

The banner will still not show for the host or the viewer with paid version correct?

Yes, of course, these changes do not affect any paid license and the banner will remain hidden. However, you can always enable the notification banner in the Host Settings if needed.

Please let us know if you have more questions.
Joseph Cobert, User (Posts: 1)
Feb 27, 2022 3:09:15 pm EST
If the message is ALWAYS visible (as it is on my host computer) and never changes, no matter who is connected or not connected, how can that make my connection more secure?  Will it suddenly change if some "bad guy" connects?  Maybe I'm not understanding the way it works?  All I know is it's ALWAYS there and never changes.

Many, many users have complained about not being able to read through the message and you still do not acknowledge the fact.  Indeed, you contradict them all.  It's kind of insulting.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)