Community

2FA

Links used in this discussion
Jeff Paewai, User (Posts: 1)
Mar 16, 2022 6:27:38 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I can't be the only one in the world that that struggles with a large number of Google 2FA authentications.
I purchased remote utilities as a standalone license, so for the moment can't post on the ticket area.
I've wanted for some time to pass on some feedback to Remote Utilities but it seems I have to pay to be able to do that. I've decided to post community. What I'd like to see is a consolidation of 2FA if a authentications.
Since remote utilities can organise the remote computers into groups, why can't the Google authentication system be tailored that way as well. It means that instead of having a separate Google authentication for each computer, I would love to see 2FA authenticated per group.
For example, If you have 20 customers, each customer has 10 computers. that's 200 Google authentications.  I almost 700 in my app already. Google does not allow authentications to be stored in folders so everything is on a single view list. I have been able to give Google feedback and ask if they could  allow folders to be created inside the authentication system to it their authenticator more organised. But Google says no comment. It means that it's up to the product vendor's to best organise the way authentications can be organised.

So as feedback I would love to see remote utilities develop group authentication.
Feel free to comment.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2853)
Mar 17, 2022 10:14:56 am EDT
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your message.

You mean that you'd like to have the same authentication code in the 2FA app for a group of Hosts, correct? If this is the case, then it's already possible. Here's how you can do it:
1. Generate a custom Host installation package via the MSI Configurator Tool.
2. At the last step - Step 4: Settings update select the Pre-configure radio-button and enable the Security settings checkbox.
3. In the opened Host Settings navigate to the Security tab -> 2-step verification tab.
4. Enable and set up the 2FA feature, set up any other preferred settings for your Host and save the output installation file.
5. All Host installed via this specific installation package will have the same 2FA codes, i.e. it will be the same OTP in your 2FA app for these few Hosts. This way you can avoid having too many individual codes for each Host installation. Just build a few custom installation packages according to how you'd group the Hosts and your 2FA authentication codes will be grouped accordingly as well.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)