Community

[ Closed ] can not connect to any hosts

Links used in this discussion
Denis Boyton, User (Posts: 5)
Apr 29, 2022 7:54:57 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Up and running - but would appreciate RU advising us what was the issue and how it was fixed?
J.R. Cabai, User (Posts: 9)
Apr 29, 2022 8:05:37 am EDT
Up and running as of 6:30pm est yesterday.
Weapon26, User (Posts: 3)
Apr 29, 2022 9:37:47 am EDT
-Nevermind Delete-
Edited:Weapon26 - Apr 29, 2022 9:40:38 am EDT
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 29, 2022 10:44:23 am EDT
Hello everyone,

We’re glad to hear that the connection is working for you now and you’re able to connect to your Hosts. As for what caused the issue in the first place - our developers are currently investigating this. I will let you know as soon as there are any updates on this from our devs.

Please let us know if you have more questions or if the issue still persists for you.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 29, 2022 12:20:16 pm EDT
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your patience.

This is to inform you that our developers have let me know that, unfortunately, due to the issues with our monitoring service we haven't received a notification about connectivity issues with our servers in a timely manner and, therefore, a simple issue was resolved much later than it could be fixed if we would've find out about it right away (and would've fixed it in just a couple of minutes). We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
Paul Jackson, User (Posts: 2)
May 02, 2022 7:29:34 am EDT
For 2 days, this highest posted to Community thread should have been your first monitoring service, not an automated service. Your Community is your reporting service, otherwise why have it?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 02, 2022 7:57:33 am EDT
Hi Paul,

This issue was fixed two days ago.

Your Community is your reporting service, otherwise why have it?

And it was the community that helped us learn about the issue, of course.
David Stephens, User (Posts: 7)
May 02, 2022 8:22:00 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hi Paul,

This issue was fixed two days ago.

Your Community is your reporting service, otherwise why have it?

And it was the community that helped us learn about the issue, of course.

Conrad,

Not sure if you meant it that way, but your response came off as pretty smug. The fact is, you guys were all denying to the forum that the problem could be at your end. It took 12 hours or more to find it and fix it. It really didn't feel like you were taking us seriously when we were providing input. It certainly seemed to me, from all the evidence I was seeing, that it was a server or network misconfiguration at your end. But all we were hearing from you is that it must be a DNS issue or some other nonsense. We appreciate the software being free for even business use. That's awesome! But a little more respect would be appreciated.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
May 02, 2022 9:05:27 am EDT
Hello David,

Of course, the problem was on our end. But we didn't get notified about it and therefore weren't able to fix it as fast as we usually do, because the monitoring service we were relying on suddenly shut down their service for us without even notifying us about that and despite the fact that the service had been paid for well ahead.

I'm writing this so that you understand that this is an exception, a pure coincidence, and not a rule. We didn't really expect such as treacherous act on their part. It was, figuratively, a knife stab in the back. After all, a monitoring service - especially a big name in the industry - is something you expect to be reliable 100% of time.
David Stephens, User (Posts: 7)
May 02, 2022 9:34:55 am EDT
Conrad Sallian,

Conrad,

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.
Yes, we know that the failure was at your end and, while the behavior of the monitoring service sounds reprehensible, it doesn't change the fact that it seemed at the time, from the user's vantage point at least, that you were trying to point the blame anywhere else. When the users were providing evidence that pointed clearly to a misconfiguration at your end, the comments from RU staff in the forum were dismissive of any such possibility.
And, while Paul's post was a bit strident, the smug tone of your response was uncalled for.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)