New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

RDP sessions drop even thru own server

Links used in this discussion
Tom Cantlon, User (Posts: 8)
May 22, 2022 3:38:24 pm EDT
Support level: Starter
I've read where this is a known problem, that if you use RDP over ID, if you minimize it or have no activity for a couple min it disconnnects and you have to wait up to a minute for it to retry when you want to go back in. I don't understand why that is at all but especially since I've set up my own RU server. Isn't there some setting in server to tell it to keep alive? I've even tried having something running on the remote screen so it isn't really idle but it doesn't matter. (Yes I could use RU Full Control but RDP seems quicker, is more transparently like you're actually there, and my users are used to it.)
Thanks.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
May 23, 2022 2:38:08 pm EDT
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, this is still a known issue which might be occurring in some circumstances due to some technical specifics of how RDP works together with the Internet-ID tunnel (namely, the keep-alive settings). However, we already have this issue listed on our roadmap and will definitely fix it in one of our future updates. Unfortunately, there's no specific ETA on this yet.

In addition, as a temporary workaround you can try changing the keep-alive settings or use the Full Control connection mode instead of RDP. Since you already use a custom RU Server, it might already improve the connection speed and performance when using the Full Control mode.

Hope that helps.
May 23, 2022 6:14:12 pm EDT
keep-alive setting? I haven't seen it. I've tried a bunch of things to keep activity going or keep communication going (looping send commands etc). I'm trying keeping the RU taskmanger open and showing processes which it updates once a minute. So far it looks like that might work. Kind of a pain to have to open that too every time but I'll see if it works.
May 23, 2022 11:14:09 pm EDT
Nope, the task manager trick didn't work. I have just tried leaving a little of its window showing behind other windows and for the moment that seems to be working, but I would like to know where the keep alive setting is.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
May 24, 2022 5:01:03 pm EDT
Hello Tom,

You can try enabling RDP keep alive functionality in the Windows Registry Editor. Here's how you can do it:
1. Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) as admin.
2. Navigate to the location HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server.
3. Create or edit the DWORD value of the KeepAliveEnable feature and set it to 1.
4. Make sure to Save the changes and quit the Registry Editor.

In addition, perhaps this Microsoft Docs page might provide some helpful information.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)