New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

2FA confirmation refused during setup

Links used in this discussion
Tim H, User (Posts: 2)
Jun 02, 2022 4:11:35 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi all,

I'm having some issues setting up 2FA. After scanning the QR code, the 6 digit validation is refused. I've tried this on multiple PCs and multiple smartphones but it seems to be consistent.
Also check https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/kb/two-factor-authentication-2fa-not-working/, but timesync is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Timmmy
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 02, 2022 5:23:51 pm EDT
Hello Tim,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you've tried deleting the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\Host\Parameters and re-installing Host as described on the KB page? The issue might be caused by an incorrect token stored on your Host machines (perhaps, as traces of previous installations), so in this case a clean Host installation might help to resolve the issue.

Looking forward to your reply.
Tim H, User (Posts: 2)
Jul 09, 2022 11:20:29 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in response. I've tested this on one machine and it seems to fix the issue, however it takes a lot of effort to reconfigure all hosts (requires physical access) and to update the viewer,...
Is there a more granular way to only purge the 2FA part from the registry?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jul 11, 2022 7:15:20 am EDT
Hello Tim,

I'm glad to hear we were able to help and it worked for you!

Unfortunately, deleting the entire Host's settings key from the registry is the only way to clean up the incorrect 2FA token from your Host machine.

However, you can save some time when re-configuring your Hosts by generating a custom One-Click installer or Standard MSI installation package via our MSI Configurator Tool - this can help to speed up the process of re-configuring Hosts, since you can also update the Host settings remotely using the Remote Install Tool and the Standard MSI package.
In addition, please note that if you enable 2-step verification during MSI configuration you’ll be using the same security code for all the Hosts that you deployed using your custom build, i.e. the 2FA code in your authenticator app will be the same for all Hosts installed via this custom installer.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)