Another Custom Server Security Authentication Error

Links used in this discussion
Carl Thompson, User (Posts: 10)
Aug 10, 2022 10:01:49 pm EDT
Remote computer RAYAPPS02:
   OS: Server 2019 Standard, version 10.0.17763, build 17763, 64-bit
   Host App: Version 7.1.5.0
   Notes:
       Host configured for both Remote Utilities security and Custom Server Security.
       Can see RU Server objects from Host Configuration -> Custom Server Security -> "User and access control..." window.
MY-COMPUTER:
   OS: Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1826, 64-bit
   Viewer App: Version 7.1.5.0
RU Server computer USSCSAPPS135:
   OS: Server 2021 R12 Standard, 64-bit, running on VMWare
   RU Server App: Version 3.2.1.0
Firewall:
   Allows bi-directional traffic through port 5655.
   Allows outbound traffic through ports 5650 and 5670.

Problem:
   Can access RAYAPPS02 using Direct Connection process, so I know communications can happen.
   Trying to access RAYAPPS02 from MY-COMPUTER using synched address book. Viewer reports "Custom Server Security Authentication Error".
   RAYAPPS02 Host log reports "Exception: Error TMyOpenSSLSocket.WriteStream. (EMyOpenSSLException)."
   Yesterday, same error was produced. Decided to reboot RU Server USSCSAPPS135. I believe I was then able to access the RAYAPPS02, but later that day it stopped working.
   Tried rebooting RU Server USSCSAPPS135 today, but I still could not establish a connection.

I was going to try to provide a lot of information from all of the computers, but realized it could be too much. So I decided it was best to let you ask questions.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2836)
Aug 11, 2022 4:26:28 pm EDT
Hello Carl,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you have already set up the authentication role on your RU Server as described here?
In addition, please let us know if you have the Force custom server security checkbox enabled for this user on the Server's side as well as the PIN code protection feature?

Looking forward to your reply.
Aug 11, 2022 7:41:33 pm EDT
Hi Pauline,

I have 'Custom server security' authentication set on the host (Force custom server security is checkbox is NOT enabled) and access rights to the remote hosts setup in synched Address Book Manager. PIN code protection and Internet-ID Connection Settings have NOT been set on either RU server or Host.

Note, using the managed address book works correctly for hosts within our network. The problem is with external hosts (outside the company firewall). The firewall has been configured to allow traffic from inside our network to the external host using ports 5650, 5655, 5670. As well as traffic from the the external host to the RU Server (inside our network) using port 5655.
The external host can see the RU Server. I can RDP to the external host, right click to host icon, select Settings for Host..., enter password, go to Security -> Authentication then click "Users and access control..." under "Custom server security", enter an appropriate RU server username and password, and see the groups that are allowed access to this host.
Aug 12, 2022 2:34:54 pm EDT
Hello Carl,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please send us the most recent Host logs and RU Server connection log files for examination? You can send the log files to support@remoteutilities.com.

Looking forward to your reply.
Aug 12, 2022 3:01:39 pm EDT
The files have been sent in an email titled "Files regarding Another Custom Server Security Authentication Error".
Aug 12, 2022 6:12:19 pm EDT
Hello Carl,

Thank you for providing the requested files.

I’ll forward the issue along with the logs to our developers and will ask for their input on the issue.

I’ll get back to you with an update on the issue shortly.
Aug 30, 2022 5:56:01 pm EDT
Hi Pauline,

It has been over 2 weeks since I provided the files, but there has not been any suggestions of what to change.
Note, I have purchased several Pro licenses. Hopefully this increases the priority to finding a solution.
Aug 30, 2022 6:31:48 pm EDT
Hello Carl,

I apologize for keeping you waiting. I'll check with our developers once again on the issue and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, I also wanted to note that I've noticed a few error entries in your log files:
1. Password is incorrect or error occurs.
2. The client with this IP is banned.
Please make sure that the IP address in questions (it's 10.*.***.25) in not banned anywhere on the perimeter and that the authentication password matches.
In addition, please also try updating your RU installation to the latest version 7.1.6.0 (version 3.3.1.0 for RU Server) and see if this might help to resolve the issue as well.

I'll keep you updated on the issue.
Aug 31, 2022 12:19:42 pm EDT
Hello Carl,

Thank you for your patience.

I've checked on the issue with our developers and they have let me know that the error messages I've mentioned in my previous response occur since outside Hosts are inaccessible which might be due to some of the settings conflicting with each other. Could you please try the following with one of the Hosts and see if this helps:
1. On the Host machine press Win+R and type in regedit - this will open Windows Registry Editor.
2. In the Registry Editor locate the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host\Host\Parameters and delete it. This will reset the Host settings.
3. Set up your Host once again following this guide. On this step please try to only enable settings that are mentioned in the tutorial or strictly necessary settings - minimum customization on this step will allow to eliminate any settings that might render Host inaccessible.
4. Try connecting to your Host and see if you're able to access it. If you can access it, you can try enabling some of the options you'd like to have, but please make sure to enable them one by one and check if you can connect to Host right away.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)