Community

Issues refreshing Windows 11 settings windows on Thinkpad

Links used in this discussion
oneklema, User (Posts: 5)
Apr 07, 2023 9:07:33 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I have been a longtime use of Remote Utilities and have appreciated it.

I have had a long-term issue with only one laptop (windows 10, Thinkpad, fully updated) where the Windows 10&11 settings window (e.g., the update window) on the host computer does not refresh/redraw properly when connect through the view from another computer. It seems to display the new version of the window over the old one. I just assumed it was because it was an older computer so I did not report the issue. Now, I have a newer computer (windows 11, Thinkpad, fully updated) that has the exact same issue. Also, for some reason when I first open the Windows settings window it starts minimized. I do not have these issues on non-Thinkpad computers. I also do not have these issue when directly logged onto the Thinkpad computer, only when connected remotely. I have tried both the regular and legacy connection modes.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Apr 07, 2023 11:28:05 am EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please try enabling the Capture alpha-blending windows option in the Connection Properties menu as described here and see if this helps to resolve the issue?

Let us know if this works for you.
Apr 08, 2023 7:07:06 am EDT
This does not help. Still the same behavior. I have added a screenshot to show what the window looks like.
Apr 08, 2023 11:23:47 am EDT
It did not make any difference. The problem still remains. I attached a screenshot showing what the window looks like.
Attached Files
Issues refreshing Windows 11 settings windows on Thinkpad
Apr 10, 2023 11:08:19 am EDT
Hello,

Could you please let us know what View mode do you use when connecting, i.e. Stretch, Fullscreen, etc.? In addition, please double-check that the graphics cards on both computers are updated to the most recent version available. Does the issue occur only in this specific window or do you experience it somewhere else?

Looking forward to your reply.
Apr 11, 2023 5:32:01 am EDT
All computers are fully upd ated, including the graphics cards. I am using the stretch view when connecting, though I have tried other views with the same result. I did some additional testing and found that the problem only happens when the lid is closed on the laptop I am viewing remotely. As soon as the lid is opened on the remotely viewed laptop the distorted view of the window becomes normal on the viewing computer and all behaviors are normal. Once closed again the problem returns. Opening and closing the lid was on the same session. Also, the remotely view laptop's screen is se t to never turn off and to "do nothing" when the lid is closed. I also learned that it does happen with other windows, so, my original post saying it was only the Windows 11 Settings window was incorrect.
Apr 11, 2023 11:06:45 am EDT
Hello,

Thank you for the provided details.

I'll forward this issue to our developers and we will test it in our environment to see if we can reproduce the issue and add a fix for it in our future updates.

I'll let you know when there are any updates on this issue.
Apr 11, 2023 2:16:26 pm EDT
Thank you for your help. Just to reiterate, I only have had these issues on my 2 ThinkPad laptops, one running windows 10 and the other windows 11. I have other (non-Thinkpad) laptops that do not have these issues, even when using the same viewing computer and software,
Apr 11, 2023 4:56:17 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for the additional details. We'll see if we're able to reproduce it or if it might be something related to the Thinkpad laptops specifically.

I'll keep you updated on the issue.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)