New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Server service needing intermittent restarts

Links used in this discussion
thr0nic, User (Posts: 4)
Sep 18, 2023 4:45:50 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I regularly need to restart the service.

Clients will show "Connecting... Disconnected... Connecting... Disconnected" in a loop. When I restart the service, they connect fine. It may take a week or more until I'll have to do it again. Any idea why? For now I've created a scheduled task that restarts the service every night, even so, I sometimes have to do it again the same day.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 18, 2023 6:25:09 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you mean the Host service or RU Server's service? In addition, could you please let us know if you have any antivirus and/or firewall software running on the machine where the issue occurs?

Looking forward to your reply.
Sep 19, 2023 4:04:16 am EDT

Pauline wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please clarify if you mean the Host service or RU Server's service? In addition, could you please let us know if you have any antivirus and/or firewall software running on the machine where the issue occurs?

Thank you for answering.

I mean the RU Server's service, latest version 3.3.4.0 and updated clients. It's running on a Windows Server 2012 R2 with no antivirus, just Windows Firewall. The firewall is configured to open the incoming listening port. Which normally works, but once in a while the clients will go in a connect/disconnect loop until I restart the service, then it works for a fair while again.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 19, 2023 2:32:24 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for the clarification.

In this case, could you please send us the most recent logs files from one of your Hosts that’s connected to this Server as well as RU Server log files. Here’s how you can locate Host logs and RU Server logs. You can send the logs to support@remoteutilities.com.

Matthew Cooper, User (Posts: 38)
Oct 11, 2023 5:38:51 pm EDT
Hi Thr0nic

For us, the only way to make the self hosted server work consistently has been an automated weekly reboot of the entire server. We tried an auto restart of the service, but that wasn't always effective. We reboot now every Monday morning at 5am.

There are occasions every now and then where we have to reboot the server during the week, but it has become rare.

The feeling over here is that RU components (Server, Host, Viewer) are very particular about internet connectivity. If any component looses connectivity for a period of time (seems like anything longer than a few minutes) it is enough to throw it out. We have gotten used to it but it would great to see it get better at staying online.

Matthew
Edited:Matthew Cooper - Oct 11, 2023 6:33:18 pm EDT
Oct 12, 2023 2:41:47 am EDT

Matthew Cooper wrote: ...

Thanks for sharing the similar experience. I'm still working on getting logs the next time it fails. We've had a lot of vacation lately so it's been impractical to troubleshoot.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)