New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

6.0 Arrow Keys not working

Larry Gray, User (Posts: 24)
Jan 26, 2015 9:43:11 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
Awesome, I will update my software and report back.  Thanks again!
Jeff Parker, User (Posts: 3)
Feb 02, 2015 6:15:54 pm EST
I too have this issue with arrow keys not working in remote sessions in version 6.0.0.4.

I reverted the viewer back to 5.6.0.6 and they work in that version. It therefore seems a simple regression bug.

Jeff
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Feb 02, 2015 6:33:33 pm EST
Thanks for the input, Jeff! I will attach this information to the test case.
Mar 04, 2015 11:26:07 am EST
Hello Larry, hello Jeff,

I'd like to ask you to update to version 6.1.0.3 that we released couple of days ago. And let me know if the issue with arrow keys still persists.

Also, I need information about the keyboard. And (from Jeff) information about the OS on the Viewer and Host PCs.

Thank you!
Jeff Parker, User (Posts: 3)
Mar 04, 2015 5:01:31 pm EST
The issue with the arrow keys not working still exists in 6.1.0.3.

Keyboard = 104-key US English

Host and viewers both running on Windows 7.

Host version = 6.1.0.3 , Viewer version = 5.6.0.6 = Arrow keys working  
Host version = 6.1.0.3 , Viewer version = 6.0.0.4 = Arrow keys NOT working  
Host version = 6.1.0.3 , Viewer version = 6.1.0.3 = Arrow keys NOT working  

Host version = 6.0.0.4 , Viewer version = 5.6.0.6 = Arrow keys working  
Host version = 6.0.0.4 , Viewer version = 6.0.0.4 = Arrow keys NOT working  
Host version = 6.0.0.4 , Viewer version = 6.1.0.3 = Arrow keys NOT working  

So it is clearly a bug which was introduced in the viewer after 5.6.0.6 and is independent of the host version.

While it is clear from the lack of fix and comments in this thread that you do not really have a handle on what the issue is, you should be able to look back through your source control system for any change after 5.6.0.6 which impacted arrow keys and revert that change.

Jeff
Edited:Jeff Parker - Mar 04, 2015 5:02:40 pm EST (Make not working case more obvious)
Mar 05, 2015 4:44:15 am EST
Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much! Now we have some information to start with and will see what might be causing this issue.  
Mar 05, 2015 7:53:55 am EST
My keyboard and OS are the same as Jeff's.  I am on 6.1.0.3 on all sides.  

One other thing to add about keyboard or remote control as a whole.  At times I have several windows open and occasionally one of the remote hosts will timeout and go to login screen.  I have to end the session and bring it back up in order to do any remote control.  The "send ctrl-alt-del" function works, but then I can't type or click anything in the window unless I restart the session.

I can start another topic on that if you think it is unrelated, but that issue happens in all versions I have used.
Mar 05, 2015 3:03:09 pm EST
Regarding the arrow keys bug - unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce it here. It certainly has something to do with a specific machine or configuration. Without remote access we won't be able to diagnose it. We could schedule a remote session, connect to your Viewer machine and from that machine connect to a remote machine using your Viewer and try to diagnose the issue.
Mar 05, 2015 3:06:55 pm EST

Larry Gray wrote:
One other thing to add about keyboard or remote control as a whole.  At times I have several windows open and occasionally one of the remote hosts will timeout and go to login screen.  I have to end the session and bring it back up in order to do any remote control.  The "send ctrl-alt-del" function works, but then I can't type or click anything in the window unless I restart the session.

Is this happening in 100% of all cases or only in some cases?
Mar 05, 2015 4:17:55 pm EST

Regarding the arrow keys bug - unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce it here. It certainly has something to do with a specific machine or configuration. Without remote access we won't be able to diagnose it. We could schedule a remote session, connect to your Viewer machine and from that machine connect to a remote machine using your Viewer and try to diagnose the issue.

I would actually appreciate very much working in a remote session with you.  Let me know how and when and I will make myself available.

Is this happening in 100% of all cases or only in some cases?

I have two computers in my office.  Each computer is 99% a duplicate of the other (one might have some software that the other doesn't).  Each of those two computers has two monitors.  I have two callbacks setup on each computer.  At home, my one computer has two monitors.  So, at any given time at home, I might be viewing any combination of these 4 remote monitors on my 2 local monitors.

Each of the two remote computers exhibit the same problem of not being able to do any kind of input only occasionally.  So, if I happen to be focusing on Computer 1 and computer 2 has logged out, sometimes I hit the CTRL-ALT-DEL button and the remote screen prompts for password, but I can't input anything into it.  

It isn't 100% of the time and I don't know if it does it with any other hosts because I'm not really on any others that often.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)