Community

Informing remote user about my presence

Links used in this discussion
isth isth, User (Posts: 7)
Jun 12, 2015 7:20:56 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is there a way to inform the remote user that i'm logging in his system?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Jun 12, 2015 8:17:52 am EDT
Hello,

Yes, of course. You can do that in multiple ways:

- Enable the Ask user permission feature in the Host security settings

- On the General tab in the Host options, you can enable the Notification panel and also select other options - change tray icon view, show balloon hint and play a sound.

Just select an option/options that work for you.
Angus Scott-Fleming, User (Posts: 11)
Jun 12, 2015 7:48:01 pm EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:
- On the General tab in the Host options, you can enable the  Notification panel  and also select other options - change tray icon view, show balloon hint and play a sound.

It would be a Good Thing if there were an admin-controllable "timeout" on this notification panel in both Agent and Host versions.  I'd love to have this panel appear when I start a remote-control session and have it fade out after a time (30 seconds?).  If the mouse hovers over the Agent or Host tray icon, it could re-appear, again with a timeout.

Or make it minimizable.  Either option would mean it wouldn't be in the way when I'm doing support.
Jun 13, 2015 5:07:16 pm EDT
Hello Angus,

Such fading out or minimization could negate the whole purpose of the notification panel - to be a constant reminder of someone being connected to the PC.

For a one-time notification the Ask User Permission is better to be used.  

Hope that helps.
isth, User (Posts: 7)
Jun 16, 2015 5:00:59 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:
Hello,

Yes, of course. You can do that in multiple ways:

- Enable the  Ask user permission feature  in the Host security settings

- On the General tab in the Host options, you can enable the  Notification panel  and also select other options - change tray icon view, show balloon hint and play a sound.

Just select an option/options that work for you.

Thanks! One more question.

I'm trying to connect to the remote pc to apply the setting you proposed.
Admin rights are needed for that purpose. I tried running the host as admin but it didn't work.

Is there a way to run the host as admin without having to switch user?
Jun 16, 2015 7:21:01 am EDT
Host is running as a SYSTEM account but you will only be able to change its settings from under an administrator account on that (Host) machine.

There is a different way though. Just use Remote settings to change the host settings from the Viewer regardless of what Windows account is active on the remote machine.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)