New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Is there a Host api?

Links used in this discussion
Jeremy C, User (Posts: 10)
Jun 16, 2015 4:50:43 am EDT
Is there or will there be or can we put into nice to have - a Host/Viewer/Server api.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jun 16, 2015 7:18:28 am EDT
Hi Jeremy,

There is no API but there are command line parameters:

Viewer parameters
Host parameters
RU Server parameters

Hope that helps.
Jeremy C, User (Posts: 10)
Jun 18, 2015 10:46:28 pm EDT
Exploring that option.  
Christopher Greer, User (Posts: 16)
Sep 19, 2015 12:53:34 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm trying to use the Viewer Command Line to launch a batch file with the Internet ID... but I can't figure out how to do it.

Can you give me an example?

I want to start with nothing in my viewer. I want to have it automatically create the name and launch the viewer with the Internet ID.

I tried:
/name:123-456-789 /FULLCONTROL /CREATE /HOST
But it is not working.  I thought this would create the name 123-456-789 and connect to 123-456-789. But it does not ins ert the Internet ID in to the profile.
Edited:Christopher Greer - Sep 19, 2015 12:53:58 am EDT
Sep 19, 2015 10:23:57 am EDT
Hello Christopher,

You should specify the ID itself after the Host. The full command is:

rutview.exe /name:123-456-789 /FULLCONTROL /CREATE /HOST:123-456-789
Hope that helps.
Sep 19, 2015 1:01:21 pm EDT
That works Thanks!

In the help file it is confusing since only NAME and PASSWORD specify you can use a : .

Is there any other parameters that use : ?

Also... I have another problem...

If The Name specified already exists in the viewer program and the Internet ID has changed I would assume the Viewer would overwrite the Internet ID or IP if I specify it with the /HOST parameter.  But it does not.  It just tries to open it with the previous ID/IP.  

I can get around this by creating a new name... but then I am left with a junk profile left behind that I would manually need to delete.

Is there some way possible for me to use a parameter to delete the old profile?  Or a way to force an overwrite of the old profile?

Thanks again!
Sep 21, 2015 4:58:07 pm EDT
Hello Christopher,

In the help file it is confusing since only NAME and PASSWORD specify you can use a : .

Thank you. We revamped the documentation page  https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/viewer-parameters/

If The Name specified already exists in the viewer program and the Internet ID has changed I would assume the Viewer would overwrite the Internet ID or IP if I specify it with the /HOST parameter. But it does not. It just tries to open it with the previous ID/IP.

Since the ID was not supposed to be changed often, on the Host side that is,  there is no such "update" option. But I will forward this to our developers to see what can be done.
Sep 21, 2015 5:09:38 pm EDT
Ok thanks!  I was able to get around the issue I was having but creating a file with the internet id info used the first time I boot into the machine.  Then before launching Agent I import this into the registry to force using the same Internet ID on this specific computer.  It also works when I boot the same computer up into a WinPE environment as well.  It will be great because I will be able to support my customers from their Windows OS and restart into a WinPE environment if need be as well.
Sep 21, 2015 6:57:21 pm EDT
We added a new feature request to our wishlist/roadmap. A new parameter called "/update" that when used together with /create would allow exactly what you described.

Thanks.
Sep 22, 2015 2:56:59 am EDT
Awesome!! Thanks!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)