New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

[resolved] Reboot into safe mode

noizician, User (Posts: 1)
Sep 06, 2012 8:21:02 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
How do I reboot the remote computer into safe mode ?
I am using the free version.

Thanks.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Sep 07, 2012 4:37:14 am EDT
Hi,

We will add a new 'Reboot in safe mode' option to the Power Control mode most likely in the nearest version 5.4. For the time being you can use the Telnet mode to reboot in safe mode:

1. Install and configure the Host on the remote PC. Then start the Telnet connection mode and type:
bcdedit /set safeboot Network
2. After it says "the operation completed successfully", run the Power Control mode, select "Restart the remote PC" and click OK. The remote PC will restart in Safe Mode with Networking and the Host will start with the system.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2991)
Oct 31, 2012 1:29:24 pm EDT
Version 5.4 has been released. Now you can reboot in Safe Mode with networking by simply ticking a check box in the Power Control connection mode.

[IMG]https://www.remoteutilities.com/images/scr/power-control.png[/IMG]
nikkil, User (Posts: 46)
Nov 08, 2012 12:38:41 pm EST
Very nice. Has anyone tried this functionality already?
David, User (Posts: 25)
Feb 14, 2014 4:03:29 pm EST
After a little testing, I've found that rebooting into Safe Mode seems to only work on Windows Vista and higher (I say that only because the solution to the OP was using bcdedit - which only exists on Windows Vista and higher). I've tested this on both Windows 7 Professional x64 and Windows XP Professional x86.

Has no one come across this issue in over a year??

Edit: Just for clarity's sake - rebooting into Safe Mode worked on Windows 7 but not on Windows XP. I'm thinking the solution for Windows XP would be to modify "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\boot.ini" and append " /safeboot:network" to the end of the primary boot partition entry. Although, this would get tricky if there are more than 1 operating systems installed that make use of this boot.ini file. The catch to doing this is that it needs to be undone when the computer restarts, or it will continue to boot into Safe Mode. I'm not sure what or where the control mechanism is when this is changed from msconfig or during the boot process (ie: booting into Safe Mode by pressing F8 during the boot process), because in either of those cases, the option is removed when the computer is restarted and it will boot normally the next time. I was attempting to edit my original post for clarity, but I probably just added confusion...
Edited:David - Feb 14, 2014 4:49:43 pm EST (Clarity)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)