Community

How to do mass uninstall / reinstall

Links used in this discussion
dzirkelb, User (Posts: 3)
Feb 25, 2016 9:11:02 am EST
Support level: Free or trial
I upgraded our organization to windows 10 and am having issues connecting to anyone's computer.  It sees them, starts the connection, but when I enter in a password, it constantly says it is invalid.

so, I'd like to do a mass uninstall, then a mass re-install upon logging on to their computers.

Can someone help me with the mass uninstall portion?
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Feb 25, 2016 10:42:35 am EST
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The reason why this happens is that Windows 10 when upgraded from a previous version resets the Host settings located in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Remote Utilities. In the upcoming 6.5 release we'll change the destination for the Host settings in the registry as mentioned in this troubleshooting article.

Regarding mass install/uninstall, are you on a local network with Active Directory or are those remove computes scattered around the Internet?
Feb 25, 2016 10:46:43 am EST
That makes sense.

I guess if I could mass push out a registry setting that would be ideal to fix the issue instead on uninstalling / reinstalling, but either way will be fine for me.

I am in an active directory environment for 98% of the computers.  I have two remote people I will manually deal with.
Feb 25, 2016 1:19:53 pm EST
Yes, it is possible to push only the registry file/record, but there are caveats:

- If you use Internet ID, then this might not work, because an Internet ID is unique for each remote PC. Since you connect in a local network I assume that you use direct connection: computer name/IP address, and you don't need Internet ID.

- If you need a unique password for each Host this won't work either.

So if these two requirements do not apply, you may try to push a registry file/record. In this case you can install a Host on a PC, enable the desired settings, set password etc. and then copy the registry entry from the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Remote Utilities\) .

However, so long as you have an option to push-install anything on remote PCs, I would recommend using MSI Configurator + Remote Install option, just build a new Host installer and propagate/push-install it across all PCs.

If you would rather use the latter, let me know and I'll provide you with some guidance.
Feb 25, 2016 2:37:39 pm EST
I would much prefer to use the built in push / msi / remote install option, but I must have done something wrong on the MSI file because when I pushed it to a couple test computers, I was still unable to connect due to password.

So, Let's change my request to this:

I'd like to remote install a host on to a group of computers, all of which were upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and all of which currently have Remove Viewer installed.  The version is an old version I'm sure as I have not upd ated it on the hosts in quite some time.  Each computer will be in my active directory.  I'd like one password for each computer and not use active directory credentials.  Each PC has a local admin account se t up with the same password (setup prior to joining the domain).
Feb 25, 2016 4:01:35 pm EST

I'd like to remote install a host on to a group of computers, all of which were upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and all of which currently have Remove Viewer installed.  The version is an old version I'm sure as I have not upd ated it on the hosts in quite some time.  Each computer will be in my active directory.  I'd like one password for each computer and not use active directory credentials.  Each PC has a local admin account se t up with the same password (setup prior to joining the domain).

Ok, here is the process:

1. Configuration phase. Build a custom Host installer using our MSI Configurator. If you are push-installing the program across the network, then you most likely need the first option - Standard MSI. Here's a sample tutorial https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/documentation/main1/item79/

At step 4 select "Pre configure Host settings". A host settings window will then open, where you can set your access password. You'll have a single password for all PCs installed from the installer that you build. If you need a more advanced authorization method, like WinNT authorization, you can enable that. In fact, the tutorial above describes how to enable WinNT security authorization.    

2. Deployment phase. There are two options, both assume that you are on a domain:

2.1 You can deploy your custom installer using GPO https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/documentation/main1/item20/

2.2 Alternatively, you can use the built-in Remote Install tool. In the Viewer select the computers that you want to update in the address book and go to Tools -> Remote Install tool https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/documentation/main1/item19/ . In the tool you'll need to select WinNT security as connection method assuming that  you can use admin$ share and you have administrator rights on the remote PC. Then select action "Install/Upgrade host" and specify the path to your custom installer and click "Process action".

Hope that helps. Let me know if that works out for you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)