Community

upgraded to win 10, viewer won't work

Links used in this discussion
Steve Burney, User (Posts: 6)
Feb 09, 2016 1:21:41 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
I upgraded to Windows 10, and now my viewer won't work.  I tried to uninstall/reinstall the viewer, but I get the message to the effect that it can't find rut.viewer5.6.en.msi.  When I search for it manually, it's not there-in fact the entire directory seems to be missing.  I've downloaded 6.3, but when I try to install it I get blocked because of the missing rut.viewer5.6.en.msi.  What can I do to fix this?

Thank you.
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3023)
Feb 10, 2016 7:35:18 am EST
Hello Steve,

You can perform complete uninstall of the Viewer as described here https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/documentation/main1/item12/ . Or , if you have already uninstall it through the control panel, clean up the %APP DATA% directory, but before that copy its contents elsewhere just in case. By default your address book is stored there (the file connect_4.xml).

Hope that helps.
Feb 18, 2016 10:07:01 am EST
I don't know what I'm missing.  The original program is gone from all of the directories on my machine.  When I try to install 6.3, though, I keep getting the message that it can't uninstall the old version and it needs rut.view5.6en.msi.  Is there a place I can download that file from, or is it something else that needs to be done?

Thank you.
Feb 18, 2016 10:41:35 am EST
Hello Steve,

You could try this Microsoft Fix It tool to fix the msi issue on your computer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

And then install the latest version of RU.

Hope that helps.
Feb 18, 2016 10:53:29 am EST
That link doesn't work for Windows 10.  

If I had a copy of rut.view5.6en.msi, do you think that would do the trick?  If so, where would I get a copy.  I've searched my entire computer and looked on the internet, but I can't find it anywhere.
Feb 18, 2016 12:41:09 pm EST
Hi Steve,

Yes, sorry. I thought that you had a different Windows version. You don't need an old installer. Just completely wipe the Viewer installation by following this tutorial https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/documentation/main1/item12/ , and then install from scratch.

Before you do that though, export your address book so that you could import all your remote PC records back into the Viewer once you upgrade.
Mar 08, 2016 5:04:49 pm EST
I followed those steps, and still no luck.  The installer keeps insisting that it needs rut.view5.6en.msi.  There is no remote utilities - viewer in the uninstall list, the appdata/roaming/remote utilities files folder is gone and so is the program files/remote utilities - viewer folder.

What could possibly be blocking the installation, and how do I fix it?

Thank you.
Mar 08, 2016 7:36:47 pm EST
Hello Steve,

Here is how to manually fix the installer issue in Windows 10.

1. First you need to locate the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Uninstall . More info.

2. Find Remote Utilities GUID under that key node and delete the RU GUID. The list of RU GUIDs for all versions is available here.  You probably need the one for version 5.6.0.6.

Hope that helps.
Mar 17, 2016 11:42:59 am EDT
I went to the command prompt, used the regedit command, and went to the folder specified above.  None of the GUIDs on the list of RU GUIDs is in my registry.  If I did everything right, what next?  If I didn't do it right, where did I go wrong?

(I also tried re-downloading and installing the viewer again, but it still won't work because it can't uninstall rut.view5.6en.msi)

Thank you.

Steve
Mar 17, 2016 1:11:19 pm EDT
Steve, I've sent a link to download old installer via email. Let me know if it helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)