Community

Ctrl Keys sticking all the time, it's horrible

jackk, User (Posts: 23)
Aug 07, 2016 1:54:25 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
This happens all the time.  When I Alt-Tab out of the session to another window on my computer, when I go back to the session, the Alt key is stuck down, or the shift key is stuck down.  This happens multiple times per day, its horrible.  I have to completely exit the viewer and the entire program, then go back into it.  Multiple times, everyday, and it happens on multiple computers.

My local computer is Windows 10.  The computers I connect to are various, XP, 7,8,10.

It is NOT sticky keys.  I don't push the same key 5 times and activate the accessibility features.

It's like remote utilities doesn't realize that the keys have been released.

Very very very frustrating.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3013)
Aug 08, 2016 12:45:17 pm EDT
Hello Jack,

Thank you for your post.

This certainly happens on the Viewer side, Host has nothing to do with it. Actually, this is a very elusive bug and very rarely manifests itself. Perhaps now we have a chance to finally nail it down.

Do you remember if there are any actions that necessarily cause this bug to happen? In other words, is it possible to 100% reproduce it?
jackk, User (Posts: 23)
Aug 08, 2016 9:20:03 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I can't reproduce it 100% in a normal way, but I can force it to happen if I hold SHIFT while I minimize the session and then click into another program, and then release shift.  The client doesn't see me release shift that way.  When I go back to the session, shift is still active.

Although that's not an exact replica of what really happens, maybe something similar to that is happening with the ALT key sometimes when you alt tab back into the program sometimes.

I don't know if that example helps or not, but it is way to force a similar situation.
Aug 09, 2016 7:05:17 am EDT
Hi Jack,

Thank you for the information, this is helpful. I will forward it to our testing and development to model and see if that might be the real reason behind this problem and what we can do about it.
BartB, User (Posts: 41)
Aug 22, 2016 3:27:08 pm EDT
I have also noticed this bug, with the Viewer version 6.3.0.6, and the new beta Viewer. I mostly noticed it after trying to copy and paste between my local machine and the remote machine, with ctrl-c and ctrl-v. The copy-paste operation does not work and then the ctrl key is stuck when I minimize the Viewer and try to do anything else on my local machine. A couple of taps on the control keys on my local keyboard clears out the stuck issue.

I haven't reported this before because I thought I was just me.
Aug 22, 2016 5:35:58 pm EDT
Hi Bart,

This is a known bug. When Ctrl, Alt or Shift key is pressed and then you switch away from the Viewer window, it remains pressed.

We are going to fix it in the final 6.5 release.
BartB, User (Posts: 41)
Aug 22, 2016 5:53:06 pm EDT

This is a known bug. When Ctrl, Alt or Shift key is pressed and then you switch away from the Viewer window, it remains pressed.

We are going to fix it in the final 6.5 release.

This happens even when the modifier keys are not currently pressed when I switch away from the Viewer window. Will the fix address that as well?

Also, do you have any advice for copy and paste not working in Viewer at all?
Aug 23, 2016 11:48:39 am EDT
Hello Bart,

This happens even when the modifier keys are not currently pressed when I switch away from the Viewer window. Will the fix address that as well?

The two bugs could possibly originate from the same source, so when the bug I mentioned is fixed that could eliminate the second bug. Testing will tell for sure.

Also, do you have any advice for copy and paste not working in Viewer at all?

Do you try to copy/paste a file or a text?

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)