Community

[ Closed ] Version 6.5 BETA

Links used in this discussion
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3023)
Aug 22, 2016 3:14:39 pm EDT
Bart, another important question - from which version you tried to upgrade to the beta one?

We've tested upgrade from 6.3.0.6 (the latest stable) to the beta and it worked without an issue. The password was there and we were able to connect back.
BartB, User (Posts: 41)
Aug 22, 2016 3:19:46 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

Thanks for your reply. The Viewer is a Win10 Pro machine, and the Host is a Windows 7 Pro machine. I've emailed the logs and the screenshot to the support address.
I'm a little hesitant about upgrading the Server module. With my luck, something will go wrong and all my Hosts will become inaccessible.
Aug 22, 2016 3:22:51 pm EDT

Conrad wrote:

Bart, another important question - from which version you tried to upgrade to the beta one?

We've tested upgrade from 6.3.0.6 (the latest stable) to the beta and it worked without an issue. The password was there and we were able to connect back.

I upgraded from the same version - 6.3.0.6.
I have another Host that I can test upgrading with, a Windows 10 laptop that is right next to me. Do you recommend trying to upgrade just by running the .msi directly on the laptop, or try upgrading using the Tools > Upgrade outdated Hosts tool in the Viewer?
Aug 22, 2016 4:14:10 pm EDT
Hello Bart,

Thanks for your reply. The Viewer is a Win10 Pro machine, and the Host is a Windows 7 Pro machine. I've emailed the logs and the screenshot to the support address.

Well received, thanks. I've forwarded the logs and other information to our development to see what they can say about this. Since remote upgrade from version 6.3.0.6 works ok in our tests, it could be something with specific PC configuration, security settings or something else.

Regarding the two-row toolbar - your window chrome (frame) looks quite unusual. Do you have any theme pack or something else that modifies default Windows window layout, controls etc.?

I'm a little hesitant about upgrading the Server module. With my luck, something will go wrong and all my Hosts will become inaccessible.

Do you have another computer to install the server on?

I have another Host that I can test upgrading with, a Windows 10 laptop that is right next to me. Do you recommend trying to upgrade just by running the .msi directly on the laptop, or try upgrading using the Tools > Upgrade outdated Hosts tool in the Viewer?

Actually, both should work. The Remote Install tool is just for convenience. You can, of course, run manual installation if it's possible (i.e. you can physically access the computer).
Aug 22, 2016 5:38:10 pm EDT

Regarding the two-row toolbar - your window chrome (frame) looks quite unusual. Do you have any theme pack or something else that modifies default Windows window layout, controls etc.?

I do not have any theme packs or other customizations. I do have the latest Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which has caused other users issues, according to the Internet. The only setting that sometimes causes issues in apps for me is the custom scale factor I have set (175%). I have bad vision and I need icons and text to be scaled up in Windows. This frequently causes windows and dialog boxes to have shifted or cut off text or buttons in apps that do not account for the scaling. I know I'm a unique case in this regard.
Aug 22, 2016 5:58:15 pm EDT
Hello Bart,

The only setting that sometimes causes issues in apps for me is the custom scale factor I have set (175%).

Thanks for letting us know. Yes, scaling might cause this issue, although I've just set 175% scaling and I still have a 1-row toolbar, but there could be other factors in effect.

We will test this further and see if we can reproduce the issue, although I'm not sure if we can provide any fix. Program windows and their standard controls - especially their size/fonts are mostly governed by the operating system rather than the application itself. So it's the OS that dictates how windows and controls look like and behave.

This frequently causes windows and dialog boxes to have shifted or cut off text or buttons in apps that do not account for the scaling. I know I'm a unique case in this regard.

No problem! We may not test the program at all scaling values or resolutions (that would significantly complicate the testing process and slow down development) but at least we have a chance to receive reports right away from real users like yourself.
Aug 22, 2016 7:28:01 pm EDT
I have thought of something else. When I did the remote upgrade, I picked the generic host install msi file that I downloaded from the Beta page. Could that be the reason for the settings to be erased - because I didn't customize the msi installer first? I assumed that the upgrade would re-use the existing config from the Host I was upgrading.
Aug 23, 2016 2:49:56 pm EDT
Hello Bart,

I have thought of something else. When I did the remote upgrade, I picked the generic host install msi file that I downloaded from the Beta page. Could that be the reason for the settings to be erased - because I didn't customize the msi installer first?

Certainly, not. Quite the contrary - if you use the "vanilla" Host during upgrade, the Host settings should be intact.  

I assumed that the upgrade would re-use the existing config from the Host I was upgrading.

Your assumption was correct.
Aug 23, 2016 5:31:27 pm EDT
Conrad,

Thanks for following up. I tested the remote upgrade on a Win7 laptop, and the upgrade worked flawlessly. The settings remained intact, and I was able to reconnect to the Host with no problems. It must have been a unique situation when I did the first upgrade. And I also tested the new beta Viewer on another Win7 machine, and I did not see the double row toolbar. So my Windows 10 PC must have something special in it.

Next, to test the beta Server upgrade.
Aug 23, 2016 6:21:35 pm EDT
Hello Bart,

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)