New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Screen builds up slow on Windows 10

Leo Ooms, User (Posts: 12)
Dec 07, 2016 3:14:02 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
The screen buiilds up very slow on Windows 10 (and 8.x).
Disabling aero doesn't help.
I know, I can set the display mode to legacy capture mode, but then the host's cursor flickers continuously, which is anoying for the user on the host side.
Whenever I'm helping out some family member remotely with RUT, I get these comments about me reacting slowly, while in fact I'm just waiting for the screen to build, or about the cursor constantly flickering.
Can either this slow screen building or the cursor flickering be tackled?
I also noticed that my cursor not allways follows the host cursor when the mouse is moved on the host side. Then when I move the mouse their cursor hops to the location my mouse is pointing.
It would be very nice if these problems could be checked out, and it would be even nicer if they could be solved. :D
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Dec 07, 2016 4:31:45 pm EST
Hello Leo,

I know, I can set the display mode to legacy capture mode, but then the host's cursor flickers continuously, which is anoying for the user on the host side.

When you enable the legacy capture mode, do you see a noticeable difference in speed/performance?

I also noticed that my cursor not allways follows the host cursor when the mouse is moved on the host side. Then when I move the mouse their cursor hops to the location my mouse is pointing.

This is by design. There is no feedback from remote cursor to the local one, only the other way around. It doesn't make sense because the remote user is not supposed to control your cursor - after all you both may need to perform different actions simultaneously.

For example, at the very moment when the remote user is doing something on their screen during your remote session you may need to move your cursor off screen - like your taskbar and do something else. So if your cursor will be locked on the Full Control screen this will be even more annoying than this hopping.
Dec 07, 2016 5:12:49 pm EST
Thank you for your answer.
I didn't mean that the mouse pointer of my PC should start moving around like a ghost when I'm not on the remote screen. Only when my pointer is on the remote screen.
But I understand that it is by design and why you did so. Most of the time there is a reason for something to work the way it does.
I can live with that. So there  is no need to go further into this part of the question.

In legacy mode the screen builds up a lot quicker and that's what I usualy set when the slow building happens, but then the cursor starts flickering and every time I get the comment that it is annoying the host's user.
There must be a possible sollution for this because it does not slow nor flicker when I test with my testing machine with other remote software for comparison.
Remote Utilities is the most complete, that's why I would like to have these annoyances solved.
Dec 07, 2016 5:14:46 pm EST
Hi Leo,

Yes, we will see what we can do about it. Thank you for your feedback!
Dec 07, 2016 5:28:49 pm EST
Leo, may I ask - what version of Remote Utilities are you using? Is it 6.3 or 6.5 which was released two days ago?

If the former I highly recommend you upgrade to version 6.5 (both Viewer and Host) and see if you still have these issues.
Dec 08, 2016 4:51:02 am EST
Still using version 6.3. I didn't know the 6.5 was officially out. Didn't yet get any message from the app itself either.
I will upgrade to version 6.5 and see what happens.
TU for the info. I'll keep you posted.
Dec 08, 2016 11:08:00 am EST
Hi Leo,

Yes, we usually send out a newsletter in a few days after the release, in case we find some last minute issues or bugs that require re-building the final installer.
Dec 08, 2016 2:16:30 pm EST
I tried the 6.5 version.
On LAN with the same version of the host it works fine. The screen builds up much faster.
Even the file transfer seems to work faster... haven't had the possibility to check with a really remote PC. I'll keep an eye on that.
So far, so good.
When I try to connect to a PC that is about 100 km away, not that the distance really matters ;), I cant connect to the host (version 6.3).
That is, I can connect once but the connection is lost immediately. No possibility to connect again.
Maybe the problem is external. I will try again tomorrow.
Dec 08, 2016 2:21:12 pm EST
Hi Leo,

When I try to connect to a PC that is about 100 km away, not that the distance really matters ;), I cant connect to the host (version 6.3).

You need to upgrade the Host to version 6.5 too. Always try to make sure that the Viewer and Host are the same version. There is backward compatibility , in theory, but you still should avoid relying on it all the time. It's better to upgrade.
Dec 08, 2016 2:22:07 pm EST
BTW, you can easily see which version the remote Host is when you log in to it in the Viewer. Just switch to Details view on the View tab and check the Version column.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)