Community

Silent Deployment

Links used in this discussion
pasbad, User (Posts: 11)
Jan 15, 2017 11:59:48 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi,
We are currently evaluating V6.5 to deploy in our company as a support tool. Is there a way to create a MSI/EXE which is truly silent, without any notifications (that it needs to generate an internet-ID or needs to send out an email etc)?  
I am planning to deploy the agents using SCCM but requires them to generate the ID (Using RU server) in the background and not popup with any type of notification for the users at all.

Thanks,
Jan 17, 2017 4:25:35 pm EST
So there is no way to do this?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2993)
Jan 17, 2017 6:09:28 pm EST
Hello Pashbad,

Thank you for your post.

Is there a way to create a MSI/EXE which is truly silent, without any notifications (that it needs to generate an internet-ID or needs to send out an email etc)?

You can use the Standard or One-click options in the MSI Configurator, those options produce msi and exe files respectively. You can run the msi file then with a "silent" key.

Note, however, that the installation won't be completely silent if you enable "Generate Internet ID" (even if you don't select "Send via email"). This is a security precaution used to protect the remote user's privacy. The Internet ID is a firewall bypass feature meaning that anyone who knows the ID and password can connect to that computer even from outside the local network, provided there is Internet access.

If you do not enable Internet ID, the installation can be silent.
Jan 17, 2017 6:15:22 pm EST
Conrad,
But I would need an interent-ID to connect to the clients? I'm using the RU-server for the trial but would need to access clients outside of our corporate network if required.
As you can imagine we want to keep the user prompts to a minimum as not to confuse 100's of users with prompts.
Jan 17, 2017 6:30:20 pm EST
Hi,

But I would need an interent-ID to connect to the clients? I'm using the RU-server for the trial but would need to access clients outside of our corporate network if required.

That is all possible, of course. But if you enable "Generate Internet ID" your remote user will see that message anyway, although only once. This is necessary protection - Remote Utilities is a 100% clean and legitimate software. A program that skips the notification part is a rogue tool.
Jan 17, 2017 6:45:46 pm EST
Ok I understand your point of view, but this would make it really hard for corporate deployments where it could include 1000's of users.
May be a notification/prompt or a permanent bar around the window (like S4B) once a connection is made would be more appropriate to warn the users?
Jan 17, 2017 7:14:16 pm EST
Hi Pasbad,

Usually, there's either a local network/Active Directory or a VPN in corporate deployments. I.e. you don't need Internet ID there, you can use direct connection and deploy Remote Utilities using GPO.

May be a notification/prompt or a permanent bar around the window (like S4B) once a connection is made would be more appropriate to warn the users?

Currently some connection modes may work invisible for the remote user. Perhaps, we'll make them all working explicitly in the future, but for now we have to use a global message.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions.
Jan 17, 2017 7:16:18 pm EST

By the way, showing a notification once a connection is made is essentially the same as the mechanism used now :) In fact, the user only needs to click "Accept" once - when the Host is installed.
Jan 17, 2017 7:21:27 pm EST
Is that prompt set to timeout after a while? I noticed it disappeared without any warning. If we are pushing it out with SCCM it can be installed at any time (when the users is using the computer or away from it).
Jan 17, 2017 7:32:10 pm EST
There is a timeout with the default choice as "No". I.e. the Host is installed, but the ID is not generated and should be manually generated afterwards.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)