Community

Anybody else having trouble getting direct connection to work

Conrad, Support (Posts: 3022)
May 08, 2017 1:34:06 pm EDT
Ron,

Could it be that your ISP no longer provides an external IP address to you (that is, to your router)? For example, now your "external" IP address may actually be the one from the ISP's local pool.
Ron Brennan, User (Posts: 40)
May 08, 2017 1:41:17 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
No, www.canyouseeme.org just reported my external IP as 24.222.xxx.xx.
May 09, 2017 2:30:23 pm EDT
Conrad just spent a significant amount of time in a remote session with me trying to fix this. We couldn't find the problem. At this point, it seems that my ISP is providing me Internet access behind a shared connection.

Is there anybody here able to use a RU direct connection with eastlink.ca? If so, are you in Nova Scotia, Canada?

I was successful a few months ago with an earlier version of RU but maybe eastlink.ca has changed something.

A counter argument is that such a change would adversely affect the gamers. And there are a lot of gamers.

I haven't gotten in touch with Eastlink yet, but will post any information I get.

Again, appreciation and thanks to our favorite RU staff member.
May 09, 2017 3:58:44 pm EDT
Fixed by following up on Conrad's diagnosis.

There was never any problem with Remote Utilities.

In summary, my modem was providing Wi-Fi in addition to the Wi-Fi from my router connected to the modem. I had my ISP bridge the modem and the direct access connection worked.

A few months ago I had RU direct connection working with no problem at all.

Between now and then I changed my cable, telephone, and Internet package. The old package did not include Wi-Fi; the new one did without my realizing it. And, I was too lazy to research this other network I noticed, and not smart enough to realize this other layer 1 segment could be the source of my direct connection problem.

But this software was well worth the time and effort to get it working. I have a strong preference for Remote Utilities over  [censored] . I love this product and this company.

This is going to be an invaluable tool for a couple of commercial travelers who often need information (and sometimes functionality) from their unattended office machine. Additionally, it will save me much time and effort by allowing me to remotely support these fellows with their IT tasks instead of having to travel significant distance to their office.

Maybe a Google search will find this post and help others fix their direct connection problem or find a tremendous tool.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3022)
May 09, 2017 4:07:36 pm EDT
Hi Ron,

That's good news. ) I'm glad to hear you figured out the issue. Seems like indeed it was a perimeter misconfiguration problem.

Thank you for using Remote Utilities!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)