Community

Can a host and self-hosted server be on the same machine? Works but has disconnects?

Links used in this discussion
David Schlesinger, User (Posts: 5)
Jul 16, 2017 10:44:27 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Today we setup self-hosted server. My programmer is working remotely connecting into my server machine. RU host is on the server machine. RU self-hosted server is on the same machine.

It works but he has been reporting disconnects every few minutes. For the moment I had him switch bask to the default server.
Benny Tucker, User (Posts: 32)
Jul 16, 2017 11:46:23 pm EDT
I actually have a similar setup with one of my machines. I have the viewer, host, and server all on this one machine. Works fine for me. Make sure that in your "host" settings for this machine, that you use an IP address of the machine itself under internet ID settings, custom server address. However, I have also opened the port in the router for this machine, so I am able to do a direct connection straight to the host whenever I'm at another location remoting into this machine.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Jul 17, 2017 3:05:40 am EDT
Hello David,

Thank you for your post.

If you can connect and only occasionally have disconnects, that might point at possible network connectivity issues. Brief network disruptions (for whatever reason) may go unnoticed when you use a web browser, but become immediately visible when you need to maintain a long lasting connection.

That said, from your description I can guess that your Host connects to the server on the same machine. In the Host's internet ID settings try specifying the server name as "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" instead of the server's external IP/DNS, to eliminate a possible loopback issue.  

In either case it would help to look at the Host log.
David Schlesinger, User (Posts: 5)
Jul 17, 2017 5:34:56 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Conrad,

Thanks for your reply, and thanks to the other respondent as well. I didn't realize it yesterday but it turns out that I am in fact having intermittent packet loss /connectivity issues and will have the ISP work on correcting it.

I will also have my developer change the hosts settings as you describe.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)