New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

password protected screensaver

droid, User (Posts: 5)
Mar 18, 2013 12:29:32 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I'm running into this issue with screensaver. After defined period of inactivity screensaver pops up and to close it I have to enter my windows password. I can't do anything remotely. What I see is just black screen.
Please advise.

Thanks
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 19, 2013 5:55:40 am EDT
Hello,

Can you please provide the name of the screensaver or a link for download. Also, what operating system do you use at both ends (Host and Viewer)?
Mar 21, 2013 3:49:51 pm EDT
I use Windows 7 64bit on both ends.
There is no download, it is built in screen saver function with "On resume display logon screen" checked.
Mar 22, 2013 3:42:42 am EDT

droid wrote:

There is no download, it is built in screen saver function with "On resume display logon screen" checked.

I see. Ok, we'll check what that might be. Thanks for reporting this.
Mar 23, 2013 3:10:15 am EDT

droid wrote:

We couldn't reproduce this issue. Do you use the Host or the Agent on the remote PC?
Mar 24, 2013 10:26:51 pm EDT
Sorry I didn't mention before that I use Agent on the remote computer.
Mar 25, 2013 5:03:11 am EDT
It won't work with Agent. You need to use Host in this case.
Mar 25, 2013 10:01:47 am EDT
Very sad news  

Any workarounds?

What I need is to lock the screen while I'm not in front of my computer and viewer is not running.
Maybe some kind of scripts that I can execute remotely on Agent PC to unlock screen or maybe some third-party screen locker that can be used without admin rights.
I can't use Host because I don't have admin rights.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Mar 25, 2013 1:42:44 pm EDT

droid wrote:
What I need is to lock the screen while I'm not in front of my computer and viewer is not running.

Maybe some kind of scripts that I can execute remotely on Agent PC to unlock screen or maybe some third-party screen locker that can be used without admin rights.

I can't use Host because I don't have admin rights.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

The screensaver is running on a protected screen. You can't access the screensaver other than with SYSTEM rights. That's why you can't do that with the Agent. Unlike the Host, the Agent runs under a local user account, with limited rights.

In general, if you don't have administrative rights on the remote PC and some action (like  controlling a screensaver from afar) requires them, we can hardly do anything about it. It's not about Remote Utilities, this is how Windows works.
Mar 25, 2013 2:40:38 pm EDT
I got it.

I'll script my own screen locker.

Thanks for your help.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)