Community

RU reliability

Links used in this discussion
Marv Downey, User (Posts: 8)
Sep 01, 2017 1:35:26 am EDT
I've been using Remote Utilities to provide support to about 125 PCs across dozens of clients for almost 3 years - so I use it often.  It has seemed over the past few months to have become far less reliable than in times past - frequent disconnects, several recent instances where after installation of the Host and despite the fact that it is set to start automatically, it does not - forcing a call to the client to manually run the Start Host app.  And the "Update outdated hosts" selection in the viewer seems to be hit or miss - sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes if I run it three or four consecutive times for a given host it will finally work.  These irritations have been pretty consistent throughout the last few versions (just updated to 6.8.0.1 tonight).  What's the prognosis?  I know this sounds like just a general rant rather than specific problems to solve, but I'm not imaging it and I really want to keep liking and using your software.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3022)
Sep 01, 2017 5:49:00 am EDT
Hello Marv,

Thank you for your post.

And the "Update outdated hosts" selection in the viewer seems to be hit or miss - sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes if I run it three or four consecutive times for a given host it will finally work.

The Simple update feature works for version 6.6.0.3 onwards. If you attempt to update earlier Hosts, it won't work on them because older Hosts simply don't have the code that would process the update (make it happen).

Here is more about update and Simple update https://www.remoteutilities.com/support/docs/updating-remote-utilities/

These irritations have been pretty consistent throughout the last few versions (just updated to 6.8.0.1 tonight).

There were indeed some issues with MSI, update and Host not starting in the several recent versions and we fixed them. For example, see our Release Notes for version 6.7.0.2.

What's the prognosis? I know this sounds like just a general rant rather than specific problems to solve, but I'm not imaging it and I really want to keep liking and using your software.

Try to make sure you update both sides - Viewer and Host - to version 6.8.0.1 and let us know if you find any issues.

Thank you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)