Community

Installation path

Links used in this discussion
Leo Ooms, User (Posts: 2)
Sep 20, 2017 4:28:10 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Is it possible to specify an installation path for the remote installation so that the program isn't installed in the default 'Program Files...' folder?
I had one familymember that managed to delete the RUT-host folder from the 'program files...' folder.
So I had to go over there and reinstall the host.
I would like the installation to be a bit more secure by placing it in another location on the disk.
When performing the install manually, I can change the target folder, but when I try the same at home with remote install, I can't.

I'm using the latest version.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 3022)
Sep 21, 2017 5:38:25 am EDT
Hi Leo,

Thank you for your post.

And how exactly you install/propagate the Host remotely? Do you have direct network connectivity with remote PCs to perform push-install? Or are you preparing a custom one-click installer package for someone to run on the remote PC?
Leo Ooms, User (Posts: 12)
Sep 21, 2017 11:40:32 am EDT
It doesn't matter wich install mode.
Since mostly I create a customized msi for remote or one-click installation with preset password etc..., I think it should be possible from within the msi-configurator to change the default installation folder.
That way, if I am on a LAN and push the installation to a remote PC, the software gets installed in the folder with the settings I prefer.
Same way when I send a one-click installer to a friend for installation, the software gets installed in the folder with the settings I prefer.
The Agent doesn't need an installation, so there it isn't necessary.
It might even be handy to have the choise to have or not have a link in the uninstall module of Windows.

My reasons?
I have a brother in law who knows near to nothing about computers. Yet he wants to be administrator, despite the risks involved. He allready had his PC infested with virusses and randomly deleted program folders. Well, you can guess the results...
So I have to reinstall RUT on a regular basis.
If the software could be installed in a non-standard folder, chances that he wipes that folder become less, so that I can help him out when needed without the hassle of reinstalling RUT everytime.
I allready tried with the agent, but that had the same faith as the standard RUT host. :/
So a RUT host in a non-standard location would help a lot in this situation.
And I guess I'm not the only one with friends/family who share the same behaviour... :P
Sep 22, 2017 8:40:06 am EDT
Hello Leo,

Unfortunately, it is currently not available to specify installation path when building a custom Host installer. But we do have this suggestion on our wish list.

Why don't you just change the Windows user to standard instead of administrator. If they are not an administrator, they won't be able to uninstall the Host or tamper with files in the Program Files folder.
Leo, User (Posts: 12)
Sep 22, 2017 10:11:34 am EDT
Hi Conrad,

Why don't you just change the Windows user to standard instead of administrator.

That's in fact a big part of the problem. They own the computer and want to be administrator...
I can't do anything about that, can I?
I allready gave them the advice to work as standard user and keep the administrator for cases when it is necessary to perform certain tasks on a higher level, but they don't want to listen. They just want to be administrator.

I'm happy to hear the suggestion is on the wish list and am eagerly waiting for the update. ;-)
Sep 22, 2017 10:42:26 am EDT
Hi Leo,

That's in fact a big part of the problem. They own the computer and want to be administrator...
I can't do anything about that, can I?

If they are an administrator, they have every right to remove or modify anything on their machine including Remote Utilities installation.  I'm not even sure this is a technical issue that we are discussing - this is more like an organizational issue. By definition, the owner of the machine can do anything with it - we cannot stop them from doing that.

Here is a similar discussion.
Leo, User (Posts: 12)
Sep 22, 2017 11:27:37 am EDT
I know they have every right to delete whatever is on their computer.
But he's my brother in law and wants me to be able to connect to his computer to help him out every now and then. Rather often actually. :-)
He knows I placed RUT on his computer but sometimes he wants to clean up his computer and does not follow the 'rules' for doing so and he just removes the folders fr om 'Program Files'.
Afterwards something doen't work anymore and I have to help him put things right again.
I never install anything on a computer without the consent of the owner. So he knows RUT is on there.
I put a shortcut on the desktop to start and stop the service, so only when he starts the service the connection is possible.
Then all of a sudden the service can't be started and he goes into total panic. Of course since he removed the folder... :-/
That's why I would like to be able to create an installer wh ere I can change the folder in which the program is installed, so that he won't delete it as easily as he can now.
Just to protect him from his own actions.
Sep 22, 2017 3:31:56 pm EDT
Hi Leo,

He knows I placed RUT on his computer but sometimes he wants to clean up his computer and does not follow the 'rules' for doing so and he just removes the folders fr om 'Program Files'.

This is a bad  way to clean up a PC. While there's no harm to delete traces of programs you no longer use, there's equally no harm NOT to delete everything in one's Program Files folder unless one desperately needs free disk space.

I put a shortcut on the desktop to start and stop the service, so only when he starts the service the connection is possible.

You can use Agent instead of Host then, if you only need unattended access. Perhaps, your brother-in-law deletes the Host because he doesn't like the idea of unattended access (which the Host provides). If you use Agent instead of Host and assure him that it's only when the Agent is running that you have access to his PC, perhaps he won't be deleting anything.

A good practice is to download Agent right on the desktop and run it from there. If the program isn't deleted after use, the ID and password stay the same, so you won't have to update the corresponding record in your Viewer address book.

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)