New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Printing directly to RU Virtual printer on host

Links used in this discussion
Ralph Smith, User (Posts: 13)
Nov 08, 2017 11:32:03 am EST
Quick question: For some reason on a bunch of computers Windows set the RU printer as default.  Some people went to print some confidential documents and when they didn't print they noticed they had printed to the Remote Utilities printer.  They are now concerned about what happened to those documents.  So what does happen in this case - are they just gone (hopefully) or are they waiting somewhere for someone to remote in to the computer at which time they will print out on the viewer's default printer?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 08, 2017 11:45:45 am EST
Hello Ralph,

Thank you for your question.

So what does happen in this case - are they just gone (hopefully) or are they waiting somewhere for someone to remote in to the computer at which time they will print out on the viewer's default printer?

They are gone because it is only during an active Full Control or View session that the Host print request will reach the Viewer PC. There is no "postponed" request.

I have also asked our development if the print file is saved or cached somewhere temporarily on the Host PC. Once I get a reply from them I'll update this thread.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have other questions.
Nov 08, 2017 11:48:13 am EST
Conrad,

Thanks for the info, that will help ease their concern.  Please do let me know what else the developers say.

Ralph
Nov 08, 2017 12:23:58 pm EST
Hi Ralph,

Cached files are located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\Printer\Common\

Hope that helps.
Nov 08, 2017 12:52:35 pm EST
I don't suppose the cache ever clears out automatically, or any way to set it not the keep those files?

If I want to remove the printer from all computers on our network is the best way to push out a new msi package with the option to install the printer unchecked?
Nov 08, 2017 1:24:14 pm EST

I don't suppose the cache ever clears out automatically, or any way to set it not the keep those files?

Actually, it does clear automatically either upon next restart of the Host service, or next use of remote printing feature, whichever comes first.

You can see that for yourself. On the Host computer open the folder and leave it open on the desktop. Then try to print to Remote Utilities printer from an application, like a Notepad for example. You will see that with each remote printing attempt the old files will be replaced with new ones in that folder.

If I want to remove the printer from all computers on our network is the best way to push out a new msi package with the option to install the printer unchecked?

Yes. When configuring your Host, make sure that  you select "Pre-configure Host settings, do not change security settings" option in Step 4 of the configurator. This will ensure that you retain connectivity with the Hosts after the update.  

If you only need to update few Hosts, you can do so without updating/re-installing the Host. Use the uninstall printer driver button in the Host options. You can do so either manually on each Host or remotely via the Remote Settings command.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Nov 08, 2017 1:42:31 pm EST
Thanks for your responses, this has been very helpful.  I need to push out the 6.8.0.1 update anyway, so I'll just configure it appropriately.  

Right now with the host on version 6.6.07 I verified on a test machine that the cached files are replaced for each successive print to the virtual printer.  However, after restarting the Remote Utilities Host service the files were still in the common folder.  The same with rebooting the computer - files are still present after reboot.

In my case we don't really use the remote printing functionality, so removing the printer will be my solution.  This is not really a common scenario anyway, but just thought you should know that it wasn't working here on this version the way you described.

Great software, BTW, and it is also appreciated how responsive your team is on these forums.

Ralph
Nov 08, 2017 2:36:53 pm EST
Hi Ralph,

Right now with the host on version 6.6.07 I verified on a test machine that the cached files are replaced for each successive print to the virtual printer. However, after restarting the Remote Utilities Host service the files were still in the common folder. The same with rebooting the computer - files are still present after reboot.

We will definitely check that. Perhaps I just misunderstood what my colleagues said so I will double check if we are on the same page regarding this issue.

As for the printing feature, you can indeed disable the driver when you deploy your Hosts. Should you ever need it on a specific Host, just enable/install the driver in the Host settings (or through remote settings for that matter).

Thank you for the kind words. We will do our best to make the program even better :)

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)