New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Can't pre-configure host settings because Host is installed

Michael Wigle, User (Posts: 12)
Nov 30, 2017 1:51:08 pm EST
Viewer and Host: 6.8.0.1

I have successfully created MSI files using the Configurator with the Host installed in the past. I tried today and it failed with a warning dialog that states "Remote Utilities Host was found on this computer. It must be uninstalled.

But the Host isn't installed on the computer. It's not in Add/Remove Programs, I removed the directory structure from Program Files (x86), and the service doesn't show in the list of services installed.

I only get this error when I choose the "Pre-configure Host settings" but I need the settings pre-configured. Any idea how to fix this problem?
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Nov 30, 2017 2:15:07 pm EST
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your post.

I have successfully created MSI files using the Configurator with the Host installed in the past. I tried today and it failed with a warning dialog that states "Remote Utilities Host was found on this computer. It must be uninstalled.

Please, check if there is a registry entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris
. If so, feel free to delete this key restart the Viewer and try configuring again.

By the way, we recommend that you use the Online configurator option over the Legacy option. With the Online configurator option your Host installer will come signed with our digital signature. Besides, this ensures that the input Host file (the vanilla Host fed to the configurator) is the correct file.
Nov 30, 2017 4:31:01 pm EST
The registry key was there and I did delete it. However, even after rebooting I had the same error. I was actually trying the legacy as a troubleshooting step. I had used the online configurator previously successfully (and as a side note, I just tried it now and it works with the online configurator) but when I combined the online configurator with the Standard MSI Package option my Windows 10 computers gave an error about the digital signature after installation. Rebooting the PC got rid of the error and everything was fine but I'm trying to streamline this so I can push out the MSI through GPOs in Active Directory (like I did previously). I had used the One-Click or Agent Package (I forget which) for pushing out through Active Directory previously but chose the Standard MSI for some updated settings since it mentioned specifically deploying via AD.

I guess really I could just choose the One Click and see if I still get the signature error. I just hadn't seen it before.
Nov 30, 2017 5:20:19 pm EST
Hi Michael,

I wonder what error that was. Do you have a screenshot or description?

The certificate should be valid. Although it is a regular Code Signing Certificate, not an EV (Extended Validation) one used in our vanilla version, but Windows still shouldn't be unhappy with it.
Dec 01, 2017 10:10:40 am EST
If I can get it to reproduce on another system I will upload a screen shot. Subsequent testing on the same system didn't reproduce the error even after uninstallation.
Dec 01, 2017 12:57:01 pm EST
Hi Michael,

Ok, no problem. Feel free to update this thread if you encounter this issue again.

Thank you.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)