New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Need to change Internet ID

Links used in this discussion
sed wei, User (Posts: 1)
Dec 23, 2016 2:57:41 am EST
I imaged a backup to three different computers and now they all have the same Internet-ID.  Not unexpected since remote utilities was on the backup.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but they still had the same ID.  I also went to "Advanced / Get New ID" but that seemed to do nothing.
Is there any way to change the Internet-ID on a Host?

Using version 6.5.0.8 on host
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2991)
Dec 23, 2016 6:38:01 pm EST
Hello Sed,

Thank you for your post. I will create a ticket from this thread to provide personalized help. We'll need to investigate why this happens in this specific case.
James Kodrowski, User (Posts: 1)
Jan 02, 2017 10:42:12 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, I'm having the same issue - cannot generate a new Internet-ID - keeps creating the same one even if I uninstall and reinstall.
Jan 03, 2017 7:54:30 am EST
Hi James,

Starting version 6.5 an Internet-ID code is unique for each PC. It is always the same. For backward compatibility, if you upgrade older Hosts to the new version their Internet ID is not changed so that you can still connect to them using the old ID. However, once you manually change the ID on those Hosts it will change to a new value and will stick to that value from then on.

BTW, let me explain what happened in the situation described by the initial post in this thread. We resolved this through the tickets and the problem was the machines were cloned after the ID was generated. The Internet ID code is stored in the Host settings in Windows registry. If you install the Host, then generate the Internet ID and then clone the machine, of course you clone everything including the Internet ID code.

So the proper way to do that is to clone the machine after you install the Host but before you generate the ID. In other words,the ID should be generated once the machine is deployed.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Matthew Hardman, User (Posts: 4)
Apr 17, 2018 9:58:34 am EDT

Conrad wrote:

Hi James,

Starting version 6.5 an Internet-ID code is unique for each PC. It is always the same. For backward compatibility, if you upgrade older Hosts to the new version their Internet ID is not changed so that you can still connect to them using the old ID. However, once you manually change the ID on those Hosts it will change to a new value and will stick to that value from then on.

BTW, let me explain what happened in the situation described by the initial post in this thread. We resolved this through the tickets and the problem was the machines were cloned  after  the ID was generated. The Internet ID code is stored in the Host settings in Windows registry. If you install the Host, then generate the Internet ID and then clone the machine, of course you clone everything including the Internet ID code.

So the proper way to do that is to clone the machine after you install the Host but before you generate the ID. In other words,the ID should be generated once the machine is deployed.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Hi Conrad,

Sorry I know this is an old thread but this is a similar issue as to what I am having but different. Okay so I will be deploying till systems which run windows into shops but they wont be setup by me, so I wont be able to click on get new ID.

My question is: If i make an image and clone the machine, the machine has the same ID, however, if I do what you do so clone it before clicking on get new internet ID, is there a way I can set the software to automatically get an internet ID and turn on the internet server without me having to do it manually? Even if its using a script or something?
Apr 17, 2018 11:04:11 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

Yes, you can. First, let me tell you just in case that a "hardware-bound" ID had only briefly been introduced in one of the previous updates. But then we realized that it was a bad idea and cancelled that change. So currently the Internet-IDs are not hardware-bound. Even if two machines are perfect clones of each other their IDs will be different.

Here is how to get a unique ID automatically on each cloned machine with a pre-installed Host:

1. Configure your custom Host (Standard MSI) using the MSI Configurator. Make sure that you enable "Generate Internet-ID" option and send ID via email etc. on the 3-rd step of the configuration process.

2 Run the Host installation. In the "Installation options" step UNcheck  "Launch Remote Utilities - Host after installation...".

3.  When the Host has been installed copy the program files and export the Host's registry entry with the settings (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Usoris\Remote Utilities Host ) and embed them into your system image.

The trick is that you install the Host but not run it yet (to avoid generating Internet-ID too early). The first run of the Host should happen when the cloned system runs/starts up the first time rather than during the image creation.

Let us know if this workaround works for you.
Apr 18, 2018 10:10:41 am EDT
Hi Conrad,

Thank you for your response. I can confirm this has solved our issue which I am very happy to say!

Another issue we have is that after the software has installed and remote utilities is running, a little dialog box in the corner of the screen saying "Remote utilities has been installed. This can be used to remote access to your computer etc" but when i click on either "Ok" or "Tell me more" the window will not go away?

Anyway round this?

Matthew
Attached Files
Need to change Internet ID
Apr 18, 2018 10:20:46 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

This window won't appear if the first connection to the computer is established from a Viewer registered with a PRO license. Here is more information: First connection window

Thanks.
Apr 19, 2018 6:41:06 am EDT
Hi Conrad,

Thank you for the continued support. Another quick question on another issue I am now having, I am re-installing the tills with the new MSI configurator one. However on the machines which have had remote utilities installed before, I am not receiving any emails which which tell me the encrypted password key?

Is there a folder / file I have to delete when un-installing the old remote utilities in order to get the software to email me when I have  installed the new MSI configurated one?

Thanks again

*Update* I fixed this issue by enabling another option in the MSI configurator..
Edited:Matthew Hardman - Apr 19, 2018 7:03:36 am EDT
Apr 19, 2018 7:08:14 am EDT
Hello Matthew,

Is there a folder / file I have to delete when un-installing the old remote utilities in order to get the software to email me when I have installed the new MSI configurated one?

You need to delete this registry entry/key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Usoris\
This is where the Host keeps its settings. You need to delete old settings if you want the "Send via email" flag to work properly.

You can also delete the folder C:\Program Files(x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\ just in case.  

Hope that helps.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)