Community

Host settings|Security during MSI configurator

Links used in this discussion
Mike G, User (Posts: 47)
Feb 28, 2019 12:15:17 pm EST
Hi Conrad,
I am trying to create a new 1-Click host installer using the on-line MSI configurator. I selected Pre-configure general\network and security settings for the host and it brings up the host settings dialogue. Under security authorization, the 'Single Password' option is disabled..?

I have the RUT host installed on the PC used to run the MSI configurator but the host is stopped.

It looks to me as if there is some conflict between installed host settings and attempting to set settings for a 1-Click host install?

Thanks,
Mike
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Feb 28, 2019 12:24:21 pm EST
Hi Mike,

Under security authorization, the 'Single Password' option is disabled..?

The Single password option is disabled if you enable "Automatically generate Host password" checkbox in Step 3.

I have the RUT host installed on the PC used to run the MSI configurator but the host is stopped.

Do you mean it didn't start after installation?

It looks to me as if there is some conflict between installed host settings and attempting to set settings for a 1-Click host install?

There shouldn't be any conflict - the old settings either stay the same or get [partially or completely] overwritten by the new settings, depending on your choices during the configuration process.
Feb 28, 2019 12:35:59 pm EST

The Single password option is disabled if you enable "Automatically generate Host password" checkbox in Step 3.

Ahh, that was the issue. I was concerned\confused that I had a different password on the host running on the PC and thought it was taking the installed hosts settings and using them for the MSI configurator I was trying to build.

Thanks!
Feb 28, 2019 12:56:10 pm EST
Also Conrad, I wanted to mention that using Gmail for sending the internet-ID during host install seems problematic. I don't know if they are tightening up security but sending via gmail seems unreliable, even when 'Less secure app access' is enabled, more often than not the email sending is blocked. This always happens when hosts are installed at customer sites (i.e., different IP's) it get blocked but if installing from a know IP (like our office - that has been used before and 'authorized' it) - it works OK.

FYI we have started using mailJet (https://www.mailjet.com) and it works from the installer. It is free for low volume use (200 emails\month) and takes very little config with SPF\DKIM available to ensure less 'spammy' delivery.

Thanks for your help!
Mike
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 3022)
Feb 28, 2019 1:23:28 pm EST
Hi Mike,

Also Conrad, I wanted to mention that using Gmail for sending the internet-ID during host install seems problematic. I don't know if they are tightening up security but sending via gmail seems unreliable, even when 'Less secure app access' is enabled, more often than not the email sending is blocked. This always happens when hosts are installed at customer sites (i.e., different IP's) it get blocked but if installing from a know IP (like our office - that has been used before and 'authorized' it) - it works OK.

I see. But unfortunately, there is little we can do in this situation  :) We only provide interface to connect to an SMTP server. The actual mail sending process is beyond our control and happens on the mail provider side. In our documentation we use Gmail as an example, but perhaps there are better alternatives.

FYI we have started using mailJet (https://www.mailjet.com) and it works from the installer. It is free for low volume use (200 emails\month) and takes very little config with SPF\DKIM available to ensure less 'spammy' delivery.

Thank you for the suggestion. We will test out this service and will perhaps start recommending it in our documentation.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)