Community

Remove the notice near the system tray

Links used in this discussion
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Mar 26, 2019 8:26:22 am EDT
Hello,

Rebooting the remote computer won't work. This message was designed to prevent the use of software for malicious purposes out-of-the-box. It's one thing when a potential hacker patches or otherwise unlawfully modifies the product to be able to silently connect to a victim, and it's an entirely different thing when they can do that with the stock version.

Still, reading your messages I can understand that we may reconsider at the least the position of this message on the screen. It may make sense to move it upwards a bit, halfway the screen along the right edge and make it a bit smaller and less intrusive, yet visible. Would that work for you?

It requires elevated permissions to install, so I think its counter productive and not going to accomplish their goal of preventing malicious installs. If you already have admin rights, the app can be installed manually or with other apps like autohotkey answering automatically. I

Some users may disable UAC at all and may click on a malicious link in an email message and voila - the Host is silently installed on the computer.

Anyway, we will give more thought to this issue now and see if we can come up with a better solution.
Rob Barrett, User (Posts: 92)
Mar 26, 2019 10:02:29 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello,

Rebooting the remote computer won't work. This message was designed to prevent the use of software for malicious purposes out-of-the-box. It's one thing when a potential hacker patches or otherwise unlawfully modifies the product to be able to silently connect to a victim, and it's an entirely different thing when they can do that with the stock version.

Still, reading your messages I can understand that we may reconsider at the least the position of this message on the screen. It may make sense to move it upwards a bit, halfway the screen along the right edge and make it a bit smaller and less intrusive, yet visible. Would that work for you?

It requires elevated permissions to install, so I think its counter productive and not going to accomplish their goal of preventing malicious installs. If you already have admin rights, the app can be installed manually or with other apps like autohotkey answering automatically. I

Some users may disable UAC at all and may click on a malicious link in an email message and voila - the Host is silently installed on the computer.

Anyway, we will give more thought to this issue now and see if we can come up with a better solution.

Smaller and less intrusive would be GREAT.. For example, L*O*G*M*E*I*N and a few others allow the remote user (Me) move it around, minimize it, and also some let you x out of it.. These are the BIG guys
Mar 26, 2019 10:14:38 am EDT
Hello Rob,

Yes, they are the big guys, that's why antivirus software companies will never dare to say a word even if these guys decide to distrubute trojans all of a sudden :)

Anyway, we will be revamping Agent window, notification window and this warning message soon, combining them into one, more flexible and usable.

Thank you for your support.
Mar 26, 2019 10:26:47 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello Rob,

Yes, they are the big guys, that's why antivirus software companies will never dare to say a word even if these guys decide to distrubute trojans all of a sudden :)

Anyway, we will be revamping Agent window, notification window and this warning message soon, combining them into one, more flexible and usable.

Thank you for your support.

Thanks Conrad

How can I update the already created msi or exe file that my clients download after the update. Is there a way to update the client "HOST" installer so that I don't lose my settings or have to recreate them?
Edited:Rob Barrett - Mar 26, 2019 10:32:26 am EDT
Mar 26, 2019 10:44:14 am EDT
Hello Rob,

Unfortunately, updating a custom installer actually means creating a new installer, there is no way to "inject" updated program files into a ready build.

When it comes to updating Hosts it may be split into two tasks:

1. Creating a new installer for new customers.
2. Updating existing customers' Hosts.

The task #2 should be done with the vanilla installer (or using the Simple update feature) because in this case your remote Host settings including authorization and connectivity data will remain intact, only the program files are updated. If you still decide to use a custom installer for updating remote Hosts you should proceed with caution and carefully pick during configuration which settings you want to update. See About MSI Configurator page for more information on steps 3 and 4 of the configurator.  

In one of the upcoming updates we will implement saving/exporting configurator settings to a file so that you could quickly load your previous choices.

Thanks.
Mar 26, 2019 10:48:18 am EDT

Conrad Sallian wrote:

Hello Rob,

Unfortunately, updating a custom installer actually means creating a new installer, there is no way to "inject" updated program files into a ready build.

When it comes to updating Hosts it may be split into two tasks:

1. Creating a new installer for new customers.
2. Updating existing customers' Hosts.

The task #2 should be done with the vanilla installer (or using the Simple update feature) because in this case your remote Host settings including authorization and connectivity data will remain intact, only the program files are updated. If you still decide to use a custom installer for updating remote Hosts you should proceed with caution and carefully pick during configuration which settings you want to update. See  About MSI Configurator  page for more information on steps 3 and 4 of the configurator.  

In one of the upcoming updates we will implement saving/exporting configurator settings to a file so that you could quickly load your previous choices.

Thanks.

Exporting / saving would be AWESOME!!!!!!
Luc De Groote, User (Posts: 3)
Jan 18, 2022 5:53:43 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi, since the newest updates, Remote Utilities displays a connection alert on the host computer (again).
Unfortunately, it creates the same problems as described above: it becomes difficult, if not impossible to work on the taskbar even if it is a semi-transparent banner because what is underneath is barely visible.
Please revisit the decision to do so or at least allow us to move the banner. Or is this only meant to force the "now-and-then users" to pay for a license? Thanks in advance to consider this.
Attached Files
Luc De Groote, User (Posts: 3)
Jan 18, 2022 6:08:45 pm EST
Hi, further to the above, I tried to move the taskbar to the side and now the banner moved up which is even worse now. The banner gives a warning to the host that a connection has been made. Once the host user has been notified, it should be possible to delete the banner, no?
Because this is a computer used by customers in kiosk mode with a touch screen, I was now indeed forced to pay for an upgrade because the banner blocs information, which is not acceptable. Regrettable...!
Attached Files
John Gatschuff, User (Posts: 3)
Jan 18, 2022 9:07:04 pm EST
I agree, for those little guy and those of us testing the product, this is a real put off. Smaller, less intrusive and moveable would be acceptable, just.
You have to understand as was mentioned earlier, many of us do maintenance work in the off hours so as not to intrude on our client time and we have to be able to do our job!
Márcio André, User (Posts: 8)
Jan 19, 2022 8:11:37 am EST
I have to agree on this.
I often use Remote Utilities to access my own computer from work, and there is nobody near my computer to click on the message to turn it off (if its clicklable from the host).
Anyway I would suggest to place an option to disable this nag notice because it doesn't apply to many of us who use the software not to access a client computer, but our own computers instead when nobody is on the other side.

Besides, the message content is absolutely useless. If I saw an authorized remote session to my computer while I was using it, I would simply unplug the network cable instead of typing or clicking a web adress with information regarding this situation. The whole message itself is rather nonsense. "oh no, my computer is being controlled by whoever knows and I'm going to open a site with information about it, nice". And this, while the other person is watching. And controlling my computer. Seriously? lol...

If you are worried about that "someone" having access to the host options, then let them be set only on the host side, so that "someone" on the remote side can't change them. Simple, and only the user can set these options.

Regards

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)